Megh R. Goyal, Hafiz Ansar Rasul Suleria, Shanmugam Kirubanandan
Apple Academic Press
June 18, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 396 Pages - 16 Color & 46 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9781771887588 - CAT# K399255
Series: Innovations in Agricultural & Biological Engineering
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
For Librarians Available on Taylor & Francis eBooks >>
The importance and value of foods from marine sources is ever-increasing, especially as the availability of arable land decreases due to climate change, increasing populations and urbanization, and other factors. This book looks at the importance of marine foods and their secondary metabolites for human health along with a number of novel processing techniques and applications for marine foods. It also provides some recent studies on microbiology and genomics of marine food products.
The volume first looks at several pharmacological properties of marine-derived compounds and their applications. The volume goes on to present a number of scientific reports on new and effective processing technologies and applications for marine foods. These include various methods of freezing fish for later consumption and fermentation processes for fish products. Other industrial applications and issues are explored as well, such as waste management and utilization of fish byproducts. The issue of maintaining probiotic and nutritional value from fish products during industrial processing is also addressed, and the role of microbiology and genomics of marine food products is explored as well.
Part 1: Marine-Based Bioactive Compounds And Biomaterials
1. Pharmacological Applications of Marine Derived Compounds: A Preventive Approach
Sana Khalid et al.
2. Bioactive Compounds from Marine Sources
Vijay Singh Sharanagat, Vinti Singla, and Lochan Singh
3. Marine Bioactive Components: Sources, Health Benefits, and Future Prospects
4. Chitin and Chitosan: Applications in Marine Foods
P. Anand Babu et al.
Part 2: Novel Processing Techniques: Fish And Fish Products
5. Fish Freezing: Principles, Methods, and Scope
Vijay Singh Sharanagat, Vidushi Kansal, and Lochan Singh
6. Fish Freezing: Principles and Practices
Juhi Saxena and Hilal A. Makroo
7. Fermentation Methods and Fermented Fish Products
D. Priscilla Mercy Anitha et al.
8. Range of Fermented Fish Products Across the Globe: Scope, Uses, and Methods of Preparation
Sasikanth Sarangam and Saranya Chandana Kundeti Priya
Part 3: Processing And Industrial Applications For Marine Foods
9. Waste Management in Processing of Marine Foods
Lochan Singh, Kshitz Kumar, and Vijay Singh Sharanagat
10. Utilization of Fish and Shell Fish Byproducts from Marine Food Industries: Benefits and Challenges
Ramesh Shruthy and Radhakrishnan Preetha
11. Marine Foods: Nutritional Significance and Their Industrial Applications
Aamir Shehzad et al.
12. Formulation of Probiotic-Based Functional Fish Feeds: Eco-Friendly Approach
Keerthi Thalakattil Raghavan and Glindya Bhagya Lakshmi
Part 4: Marine Microbiology
13. Microbiology of Marine Food Products
Reshma B Nambiar et al.
14. Marine Genomics: An Emerging Novel Technology
Karuna Singh and Monika Thakur