George K. Strodtbeck III, Mohan Tatikonda
December 27, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 288 Pages - 50 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9780367345730 - CAT# 320996
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
SAVE ~$7.99 on each
This book presents a model of organization transformation success. The model framework comprises a series of S-Curves (maturity curves) of planning and execution activities phased over time. The model is illustrated through description and analysis of an actual, two-decade, highly successful, global enterprise transformation Six Sigma program at a Fortune 200 company -- Cummins, Inc. Lessons learned from the model and company case study are completely transferrable to other organizational culture, improvement, and innovation transformation settings.
This insightful book:
• Documents a first-hand account of a successful transformation. The authors completely explain what was accomplished and the lessons learned from a sixteen-year deployment of Six Sigma at Cummins.
• Acts as a benchmark for those organizations interested in pursuing primarily a continuous improvement transformation, and more generally, for other types of transformation efforts.
• Includes substantive interviews with 10 key leaders and others who made the transformation possible.
• Helps organizations shorten the overall transformation timelines. The documentation of a transformation provides you a model for how to think about organization transformation maturity over time and plan for it.
• Recognizes the work of thousands of people involved in transforming a global company. The interviews provide extraordinary perspectives, not only by executives who initiated and sustained the transformation program, but program participants who themselves grew as managers and leaders in their careers through the program.
Essentially, this book helps early-career managers and executives see the broader picture of enterprise transformation, especially over time. This helps them be better managers and executives, and importantly, helps them better plan for and hasten their upward career trajectories. Lastly, the book describes a view of possibilities. It describes a clear, sustained success, the steps taken to get there, and the measurement of progress. The result provides you with confidence that successful transformation is possible and worth the effort.
List of Figures. Foreword – Change by Frank McDonald. About the Authors. Chapter 1: Introduction and Purpose. Chapter 2: Interview with Tim Solso - Cummins CEO (2000-2011). Chapter 3: Six Sigma Pre-History. Chapter 4: The Bottom Line: Results. Chapter 5: S-Curves and Kano – Maturity and Sustainability. Chapter 6: Interview with Frank McDonald – VP Quality (1999-2002). Chapter 7: S-Curve 1 – Preparation and Prelaunch Activity. Chapter 8: S-Curve 2 – Launch and First Projects. Chapter 9: Preparing for the Next S-Curve – Cross Curve Analysis: A Summary. Chapter 10: Interview with Joe Loughrey – Cummins President/COO (2005-2008). Chapter 11: Moving from First Training and Projects S-Curve to the Building a Foundation S-Curve. Chapter 12: Interview with Michelle Dunlap – MBB, Quality Champion. Chapter 13: Interview with Dana Vogt – BB, MBB, Quality Champion. Chapter 14: S-Curve 3 – Building a Foundation. Chapter 15: Moving from Building a Foundation to the Self-Supporting S-Curve. Chapter 16: Interview with Megan Henry – Black Belt, Master Black Belt, Six Sigma Leader. Chapter 17: S-Curve 4 – Self-Supporting. Chapter 18: Interview with Ginger Lirette – Black Belt. Chapter 19: Moving from Self-Supporting to the Business Integration S-Curve. Chapter 20: Interview with Tom Linebarger– Cummins CEO (since 2011). Chapter 21: S-Curve 5 – Business Integration. Chapter 22: Moving from Business Integration to Continued Growth and Expansion and Business System Improvement S-Curves. Chapter 23: S-Curve 6 – Continued Growth and Expansion. Chapter 24: Interview with Julie Liu – Black Belt, Quality Champion, Six Sigma Leader. Chapter 25: S-Curve 7 – Business System Improvement. Chapter 26: Interview with Holly Duarte - Black Belt. Chapter 27: The Effect of Maturity on Organizational Communication. Chapter 28: How to use S-Curves. Chapter 29: Important Considerations for a Healthy Long-Term Six Sigma Deployment. Chapter 30: Special Situations. Chapter 31: Conclusions. Chapter 32: Final Thoughts. Appendix. APP 1 Total Quality Assurance (TQA). APP 2 The Achieving Paper and New Standards of Excellence. APP 3 Total Quality Systems (TQS). APP 4 Cummins Production System (CPS)(Pages 466-470 The Engine That Could). APP 5 Common Approach to Continuous Improvement (CACI). APP 6 7-Step Problem Solving. APP 7 S-Program-Functional Excellence-Baldrige. APP 8 Flows and Functions and The Cummins Operating System (COS). APP 9 Summary Table of Pre-History Elements and Impacts on Six Sigma Deployment. APP 10 Example Projects by S-Curve. APP 11 Initial Cummins Six Sigma Future State. APP 12 Six Sigma Standards.