Written by the industrial engineer who developed SMED (single-minute exchange of die) for Toyota, A Revolution in Manufacturing provides a full overview of this powerful just in time production tool. It offers the most complete and detailed instructions available anywhere for transforming a manufacturing environment in ways that will speed up production and make small lot inventories feasible. The author delves into both the theory and practice of the SMED system, explaining fundamentals as well as techniques for applying SMED. The critically acclaimed text is supported with hundreds of illustrations and photographs, as well as twelve chapter-length case studies.
PART ONE: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF THE SMED SYSTEM
1. The Structure of Production
2. Setup Operations in the Past
3. Fundamentals of SMED
4. Techniques for Applying SMED
5. Applying SMED to Internal Operations
6. Basic Examples of SMED
7. Effects of SMED
PART TWO: THE SMED SYSTEM -- CASE STUDIES
8. Implementing SMED
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., Washing Machine Division (Mikuni Plant)
9. Setup Improvements Based on the Toyota Production System
Toyoda Gosei Co., Ltd.
10. A Quick-Setting ("Q-S") Campaign
Nippon Kogaku K.K. (Oi Plant)
11. Using SMED on a Farm Machinery Processing Line
Kubota, Ltd. (Sakai Plant)
12. Setup Improvements Based on Shop Circle Activities
Toyota Auto Body Co., Ltd.
13. Comprehensive Development of the SMED Concept to Include Affiliated Plants
Arakawa Auto Body Industries K.K.
14. SMED Developments in Producing Slide Bearings
T.H. Kogyo K.K.
15. Examples and Effects of the SMED System
Glory Industries K.K.
16. Achievement of SMED Through Company-Wide Activities
Kyoei Kogyo K.K.
17. SMED in Tire Manufacturing Processes
Bridgestone Tire Co., Ltd.
18. Using SMED for Aluminum Die-Casting Dies
Tsuta Machine and Metals Co., Ltd.
19. The Shingo One-Touch Die Exchange System: The Boltless Method
About the Author
"One of the most thought provoking manufacturing books anyone can read. It is filled with excellent improvement solutions that have wide potential application."
—Ken Stork, Past President, AME Target, June 2004 "Dr. Shingo's visit to our plant was significant in making breakthroughs in productivity which we previously thought were impossible. The benefits that we are receiving are more far-reaching than I had personally anticipated. Because of Dr. Shingo's direction, we have been able to reduce changeover time from 4 to 5 hours to an average of 2.5 to 4 minutes."
— Gifford M. Brown, Plant Manager, Cleveland Engine Plants, Ford Motor Company, June 2004
CRC Press eBooks are available through VitalSource. The free VitalSource Bookshelf® application allows you to access to your eBooks whenever and wherever you choose.The Bookshelf application offers access: