Extensive history of accomplishments in resolving and solving process and product challenges and in regulatory areas including:
Government aerospace contract service and timely response
• Prevented cancellation of a government contract by orchestrating complete redesign and writing of a report to turn a failure into a success
Clinical diagnostics system development (diabetes testing, blood chemistry)
• Developed basis for redesign of sensing system to protect a diabetes testing market by dramatically reducing statistical variance
• By directing a team, and through personal research developing new process control software, led development of a prototype for a new clinical blood analyzer based on discrete operation. This prototype became the basis for a multi-hundred million dollar business in the clinical chemistry market.
• Developed theoretical basis for thyroid function products that allowed better understanding of how products could be used to monitor therapeutic treatment of patients
• Through personal research based on chemical engineering, devised system of equations that can be used to predict and help monitor patient blood glucose measurements. This system is still in development for potential commercial application
• Developed basis for analgesic product treatments that were implemented in clinical monitoring in hospitals and used to counter legal charges that products were causing internal bleeding.
Developed agrobiotechnology for application to production of flavor systems and pharmaceuticals through cell culture and development of added taste quality in crops through plant genetics.
• Provided a natural enhanced flavor system to a major beverage company that dramatically improved the flavor of one of their products.
• Demonstrated how this is a technology that could be applied to improve taste properties in foods to provide a way to use enhanced flavor to deliver nutrition.
Biochemical and chemical processes (bulk and specialty chemicals, and biocatalysts translated from bench scale through pilot plants to commercial production).
• Technology in a bulk product chemical was translated to a foreign plant resulting in significant cost reduction to protect their business.
• Coordinated research, pilot plant development, and implementation in manufacturing to convert a failed biotechnology product into one successfully implemented in customer facilities
• Demonstrated how to use and achieve protection by trade secrets interactively with patented technology to implement findings in customer facilities.
• Resolved a serious product quality problem affecting the business by organizing and directing a team to apply technology and sample analysis (based on traditional testing and application of sophisticated process models)
• Showed how models and traditional, very practical approaches were used to correct four key problems to resolve odor and color problems.
• Numerous problems were solved to identify and overcome challenges where failure to succeed could have seriously affected multi-hundred million dollar production and caused lost customer business
• In one example, provided critical input to correct a problem with a food bacterial culture where failure to do so could have resulted in loss of a major food supplier as a customer
Microbial Fermentation Processes and Products
• Guided a team in pilot plant and software development of computer process control system research that facilitated introduction of new products into manufacturing while saving translatable energy costs.
• Led development of a yeast-based process to produce ethanol that was translated using our technology into what was the largest ethanol facility in the USA at the time
• As one example of a strategic action leading to a positive result, designated a key scientist to spend a month in manufacturing so that on return he was so motivated that he discovered a way (benefitting from his understanding of genetics and his short-term experience in manufacturing) to obtain a ten-fold increase in the activity of an enzyme produced by a production microorganism
Mammalian and Plant Cell Processes and Products
• Provided guidance to aid development of a critical blood coagulation factor produced in mammalian cell culture that was later commercialized.
• Facilitated an anti-cancer therapeutic agent effort by securing an NCI grant and led plant cell culture research work that contributed to more rapid product introduction to benefit patient care
• Used chemical engineering analysis methods to plan the development of a mammalian cell process to produce a potentially important biological product.
• With a year’s persistent effort, arranged a meeting at the clinical biological products branch of the FDA to introduce a new biological fluid sterilization technology that led to insightful discussion on prevention of the occurrence of disease in human blood.
• Guided preparation and submittal of a document on safety and environmental effects to the FDA resulting in a ruling on GRAS affirmation status that allowed production and marketing of a biocatalyst product
Food Product and Processes Development
• Led a team to develop new soy-based foods with enhanced flavor and taste characteristics that were commercially introduced—one in particular is a particularly tasty meat product vastly superior to that of competitors
Skilled at applying knowledge to a variety of expert witness cases by carrying out research and identifying key aspects to resolution of a case, where my work was able to both identify most significant and truthful evidence and information, and also reach a favorable outcome for clients.
Editor and co-author of two books in the environmental area, and
author of a book in the energy area. These books, all published by Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, had particular purposes and origins important to me.
The first book, Sick Building Syndrome and Related Illness: Prevention and Remediation of Mold Contamination, published in 2010, was a consequence of organizing a seminar on the subject at a meeting of the AAFS. This subject was particularly important to me since I am aware of the horrible health consequences to some people who are so allergic to mold products that they cannot enter particular building without becoming dangerously ill. This book and a grant application that was submitted are attempts to make a dent in helping those afflicted. Solutions were proposed in this book to lessen and eliminate the problem.
For the second book, Pharmaceutical Accumulation in the Environment, Prevention, Control, Health Effects, and Economic Impact, published in 2014, I felt this area needed attention as a global health concern since the presence of such contamination in the environment is providing the opportunity to dose humans and other life forms with drugs over an extended period of time. Solutions proposed in the book are directed to help eliminate the problem while gaining revenue at the same time for those interested and intent on being involved in such activity.
In writing the third book, The Science of Ethanol , just published in 2016, my intention is to show another way to better our energy supply by improving use characteristics of this energy alternative in several ways so that it can become more valuable to producers, suppliers, and customers. I also want to show how this product (and research that supports it) can be a basis to improve the environment and better our health. Further, the book proposes how this product and the technology behind it can be part of improving economic and social conditions worldwide.
I am an author of journal publications in clinical diagnostics, chemical engineering, process development, economics, and cell culture
I am a co-inventor of a patent in a promising area of cell culture with medical application that is a basis for a new supply of blood and possible way to aid betterment of health in several therapeutic areas. I am seeking ways to obtain financing so this development can proceed to commercialization.
In general, I am interested in applying my skills to improve health, optimize energy and environmental issues, and help businesses improve their economic position while helping protect the environment. My wish is to contribute to improving the quality of life through my skills in engineering and science. I am extremely interested in applying my chemical engineering science skills to improve human health based on my areas of expertise and skills
Please see www.chemicalengineeringexpertwitness.com
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Improving energy conservation while optimizing commerce
Mathematical Modeling leading to new devices to treat diseases such as those of metabolism, and also gastrointestinal maladies, Use of model to implement advanced biomedical facilities.