He has been a devout researcher in diverse areas with a large number of well documented works. His special field of lifetime interest has been CLUBFOOT. He innovated newer concepts in pathoanatomy & surgical techniques in extreme clubfoot deformities, which are prevalent from early childhood to adults especially in LMICs including India, winning numerous National & International Awards & Rewards. This has been a ZERO cost Research initiated at Government Medical College/ Rajindra Hospital Patiala since about half a century and still continuing.
Due to his expertise, H was authorized by Punjab Government Under GOI’s National Health Mission (Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram), at Govt. Mata Kaushlaya Hospital Patiala for free clubfoot surgeries for the underprivileged patients of Punjab He performed a record 38 surgeries in about a year in 2016-17. He also contributed 12 poor free surgeries, single handed, on 4th August 2016, the National Bone and Joint Day, to the kitty of Indian Orthopaedic association for creating a world record of maximum free surgeries by any country with the WORLD RECORDS ACADEMY, U.S.A.
B - ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS-
Research publications 130, in reputed scientific journals, about 25% in International Journals, many original research works with emphasis on LOW COST Technology:
1. Skeletal fluorosis collaborating for about 6-7 years with Indian Council Medical Research New Delhi & got an ICMR NATIONAL AWARD in 1991 for outstanding original research in this disease, which were documented in National & International Publications.
2. LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT- Continued Research in Clubfoot since about half a century & innovated newer concepts in pathoanatomy and evolved New Surgical Techniques, in extreme deformities at all ages” with numerous publications in reputed National and International Journals, Different aspects of this research has been presented at a large number of International & National meetings.
3. “Patiala Orthopedic Biopsy Needle” Low cost, simple, versatile core biopsy instrument, adopted by Indian Orthopaedic Association in 1985 (Published in Ind. Jr. Orth.).
4. A modified low cost Ring Fixator (modified Illizarov Technique), using successfully since more than 30 years for complicated trauma, presented at many National as well as at SICOT International conference at Sydney, Australia in 1999.
5. Many new orthopedic conditions discovered and published in International Journals:- traumatic dislocation of Tibialis posterior tendon, transcondylar fracture distal humerus, Pseudomegadactyly, etc.
6. New surgical techniques:- Besides Club Foot; new surgical techniques for Arthrodesis Wrist, Cock Up deformity big toe and Hallux Valgus (All published In International/ National journals).
7. Invented instruments: - Scoliometer for mass school screening for scoliosis, Patiala Orthopaedic Biopsy Needle, tropometer (Published in I.J.O) , UNiversal Inter-locking Nail EXtractor (UNILEX) & others (published in National/ International Journals,
C. UNIQUE DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS:- REGIONAL, NATIONAL &
1. Senior Commonwealth Fellowship under British Council (by Health Ministry Govt. of India) 1984- visiting different centres for the study of Medical Education in England:- 1984,
2. Indian Orthopedic Association A.A. Mehta Gold Medal for spine surgery–1985.
3. Ind. Ortho. Assn.- Howmedica Fellowship in 1985 for Amer. Acad. Ortho. Surg. conference at Las Vegas U.S.A
4. Ind. Orthop Assn. Silver Jubilee Oration Award for Best original Research in Club Foot - 1988.
5. Ind. Council Med. Res. New Delhi- National Award for Skeletal Fluorosis – 1991.
6. Appreciation letter by Punjab State Council Science/ Technology (1994) for outstanding research During the period from 1990-1993.
7. Commendation by Government of Punjab Medical Education department for outstanding Research–1992
8. Member Medical council of India, New Delhi – 1993-95
9. President - Punjab Medical council, Chandigarh 1994
10. President Indian Orthopedic Association – 1994
11. Dr B.C Roy National Award conferred by President of India -1994
12. President Indian Foot & Ankle society - 2000-02.
13. Dr. B.B Joshi Oration Award by Indian Foot & Ankle Society – 2010.
14. Original Research Award once again for original research- DOLAR surgical technique in extreme Clubfoot deformities- Ind. Orthop. Assn, Golden Jubilee Oration Award-2013.
15. Dr. B.N. Sinha Meritorious Award (Ind. Ortho. Assn) - 2013.
16. Widely traveled to about 25 countries for conferences as Chairman, guest Lectures, Fellowships and/or as visiting Professor.
17. Life Fellow National Acad. Medical Sciences Delhi since 1995 & Member of its Advisory Panel.
18. Life Member - Association of British Scholar, INDIA, Chandigarh Chapter.
19. Indian Orthopaedic Association. Honorary Fellow Award Dec. 2015.
20. Govt. of Punjab Honour on 15th August 2016, INDIA’s Independence Day for doing free Clubfoot surgeries under Government of India’s National Health Mission (Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram project)..
21. Recently, I have been designated as EMERITUS PROFESSOR Government Medical College Patiala for contributing to Research and Academic Activities, including in Clubfoot in April 2018 only. Work has already been started.
RECENT INTERNATIONALN RECOGNITION for RESEARCH :-
22. Delivered a lecture on Clubfoot at Global foot & Ankle Congress held in China in May 2017.
23. , Invited by a Global American publisher (Taylor & Francis). Written a
comprehensive unique book on CLUBFOOT , including my latest research and
is with publication department of the Publisher in USA. Likely to be released in October/ November 2018 as intimated by the publisher.
24. A comprehensive CLUBFOOT original research article published in International Orthopaedics (SICOT), the official Journal of of a truly global association of orthopaedic surgeons, as online first, in Feb.2018 and in its print version in June 2018 issue.
D - SOCIAL & COMMUNITY SERVICE –
• Volunteered- National emergency 1971 Indo- Pakistan War, Fazilka Sector, and for providing surgical help to war causalities and headed a Surgical Team at the war front Hospital, from 8.12.1971 to 18.12, 1971
• Punjab State & Patiala District Red Cross Awardee 1985 (Life member). Organized number of Red Cross sponsored free orthopaedic Camps in Punjab for free surgeries.
• Under a RED CROSS sponsored RESEARCH PROJECT, innovated a low cost mechanical hand for upper limb prosthesis, supplied free to Farm Amputees of Punjab and this Research paper was presented at an International conference, sponsored by Punjab Government- .
• School Surveys- of Rural population Patiala 1987 & 1993 (about 50000 each) for Flat Feet and Congenital orthopaedic Anomalies including clubfoot & scoliosis. Innovated a quick fix scoliometer, which was also presented at SICOT International Conference 1987 Munich (W. Germany) (sponsored by Punjab Government) and published in International Orthopedics (SICOT) 1987.
• Regular yearly contributions to various social organizations: Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund like Kargil heroes & Uttrakhand disaster, Nepal Earthquake, Ramakrishna Mission branches all over India, Help age India, Patiala Social Welfare Society, Deaf & Dumb School, Patiala Health Foundation.
• INSPIRED BY SWAMI VIVEKANANDA, running a Registered NGO Ramakrishna Vivekananda Seva Samiti Patiala, affiliated with Ramakrishna Mission BELURMATH (West Bengal) and financial contributions to its various branches all over India for social services as propagated by Swami Vivekananda.
• Actively involved in NGO PATIALA HEALTH FOUNDATION (Regd), Patiala Medical College Alumni Association charity. With Rs. 3 crores corpus, free medicines to emergency patients, LIQUID OXYGEN PLANT for 24 hours supply and other services.
• Appointed Emeritus Professor Orthopedic department, Medical College Patiala for contributing to research, teaching and other academic programs, including clubfoot. Will be starting free clubfoot surgeries once again as a Research oriented project..
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
1.Skeletal fluorosis collaborating for about 6-7 years with Indian Council Medical Research New Delhi & got an ICMR NATIONAL AWARD in 1991 for outstanding original research
1. 2. LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT- Continuous 3 phased Research in Clubfoot since about half a century & discovered new concepts in pathoanatomy and invented New Surgical Techniques, in extreme deformities at all ages, with numerous publications in reputed National and International Journal. Different aspects of this research has been presented at a large number of International & National meetings.
2. New instruments: “Patiala Orthopedic Biopsy Needle, A modified low cost Ring Fixator (modified Illizarov Technique), tropometer to measure tibial torsion, Low cost multipoint soft tissue distractor for skin contracture, Scoliometer for mass school screening for scoliosis, Patiala Orthopaedic Biopsy Needle, tropometer (Published in I.J.O) , UNiversal Inter-locking Nail EXtractor (UNILEX) & others (published in National/ International Journals,
Many new orthopedic conditions discovered and published in International Journals: - traumatic dislocation of Tibialis posterior tendon, transcondylar fracture distal humerus, Pseudomegadactyly, etc.
New surgical techniques:- Besides Club Foot; new surgical techniques for Arthrodesis Wrist, Cock Up deformity big toe and Hallux Valgus (All published In International/ National journals).
INSPIRED BY SWAMI VIVEKANANDA, a monk reformer of India famous for lecture series at World Parliament of Religions Chicago 1893 and founder of twin organizations Ramakrishna Math and Mission, service organizations. His famous quotes have been really inspiring: “You are the creator of your destiny”. “Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is achieved”. “I worship that GOD whom the ignorant call MAN”. My American CLUBFOOT book has been inspired by him and hence dedicated to him. I was specially authorised due to my expertise, under National Health Mission to perform poor free surgeries at a Govt. Hospital and I performed 38 surgeries in one year. Many of these cases are in Sicot 1988 publication and in this book. One of the cases, FIRST CASE OF WORLD, OCTOPUS CLUBFOOT, in there in the book as well in SICOT Journal, operated by the first ever 4-in-1 surgery is viral on Google and was interviewed by a LONDON UK paper and is available on LINK “dailymail.co.uk/ health octopus clubfoot”.
running a Registered NGO Ramakrishna Vivekananda Seva Samiti Patiala, affiliated with Ramakrishna Mission BELURMATH (West Bengal) and financial contributions to its various branches all over India for social services as propagated by Swami Vivekananda.