What are the potentialsand limitationsof usage statistics in libraries?
As libraries increase their use of electronic resources, the value of quality evaluation of usage statistics has gained greater importance. Usage Statistics of E-Serials tackles this difficult issue by exploring in detail the proper evaluation of the level of usage of electronic resources. Noted experts discuss their own experiences in the field from multiple viewpoints and backgrounds, providing the reader with a well-rounded view of the entire topic. Issues comprehensively examined include the gathering and processing of statistics, costs and benefits of e-journals, evaluation and interpretation of data, and the comparison of different types of data collection methods.
Usage Statistics of E-Serials reviews a range of situations and experiences of librarians and administrators in several different academic libraries. These authorities offer approaches and strategies to help readers more fully understand how to best manage those crucial resources. Multiple perspectives shine a needed spotlight on various challenges still facing academic librarians who attempt to measure and manage their library’s electronic resources. This resource includes helpful screen captures, tables, and figures to fully explain ideas and data.
Topics in Usage Statistics of E-Serials include:
- processing, standardizing, and dissemination of usage statistics
- a case study examining the cost of selection, acquisition, maintenance, and renewal of subscription of e-journals
- cost savings of canceling print journals
- evaluation and interpretation of data about the content and use of databases in decision-making
- the MaxData Project
- results of the Council of Connecticut Academic Library Directors (CCALD) e-resource management survey
- in-house current-awareness module MyCLICAPS
- statistics options provided by Serials Solutions
- the influence of usage statistics on collection development decisions
- the tracking of electronic resources by San Jose State University from the Federal depository program
- usage statistics as the basis for a usage-based pricing system
Usage Statistics of E-Serials is a must-have resource for every academic librarian, particularly those in technical services, public services, and administration involved in gathering and utilizing usage statistics.