Move through emotional triangles toward a natural systems view of the individual in the context of the family and society Triangles: Bowen Family Systems Theory Perspectives presents clear applications of Murray Bowen’s concept of the emotional triangle in the family, the organization, and society. This comprehensive book discusses in detail the theory, the theory’s application to the therapist’s own family, clinical applications, organizational applications, and societal applications. This unique resource examines the value of the triangle concept for understanding the emotional process of the family, the organization, and society. Triangles: Bowen Family Systems Theory Perspectives provides a theoretical context for understanding the triangle concept and its application, then progresses to exploring and applying the concept of the triangle and interlocking triangles to self, family, and other contexts. This book is devoted to explicating Bowen’s seminal concept of the triangle, and providing a clear description of the process of detriangling in clinical practice. The text includes several case studies and vignettes to illustrate concepts. Topics in Triangles: Bowen Family Systems Theory Perspectives include:
- a historical and conceptual overview
- the triangle’s function in the effort to increase differentiation of self
- the presence of triangles in non-human primates
- Bowen’s differentiation of self effort in his own family and business
- the functioning of triangles at the time of chronic illness and death
- emotional triangles involving pets and humans
- the application of the concept of triangles and interlocking triangles to clinical issues in marriage
- the presence of triangles in the child-focused family
- triangles in stepfamilies
- the triangle’s presence and function in families with substance abusing teens
- triangles involving extramarital relationships
- triangles in organizations and businesses
- the triangle’s function in the context in societal emotional process
- and much more!
Triangles: Bowen Family Systems Theory Perspectives is a stimulating, enlightening resource for family therapists, social workers, psychologists, pastoral counselors, and counselors.
Table of Contents
About the Editor. Contributors. Foreword. Preface. Acknowledgments. Part I: Triangles in Bowen Theory and Natural Systems. Part II: Triangles and Detriangling in the Therapist's Own Family. Part III: Triangles in Clinical Practice. Part IV: Triangles in Organizations. Part V: Triangles and Emotional Process in Society.