Deliver effective services to this growing population! This volume presents the first collection of reports on the impact of HIV/AIDS on the transgender community worldwide. It includes a thorough description of the unique HIV risks of transgender people and exposes their largely neglected health and social service needs. This unique book also reports on the first generation of prevention interventions targeting this community, discusses guidelines for providing sex reassignment services to HIV-positive transsexuals, and encourages collaboration between communities at risk, researchers, and people in the helping professions.The social stigma faced by this population adds to their risk of HIV infection. Low self-esteem, rejection, neglect, employment discrimination, disenfranchisement, and a desire for acceptance and validation are all contributing factors. Yet, as the editors point out, “On the positive side, the transgender community has been able to mobilize and empower itself, and has found a voice that no longer can be ignored. We call on transgender and nontransgender people alike to work together to advance HIV prevention and promote our sexual health.”In Transgender and HIV you'll encounter:
- extensive discussions of the health, social service, and HIV prevention needs of the transgender community
- tips on how to work with marginalized communities in an empowering way
- explorations of the sexuality of both male-to-female and female-to-male transsexuals
- first-ever findings on sex reassignment surgery on HIV-positive individuals
- guidelines for surgery on HIV-positive transsexuals
Transgender and HIV provides much-needed and often-requested information on HIV prevalence, risks, prevention, and care for this increasingly visible community.