Published October 22, 2015
Reference - 1432 Pages
ISBN 9781857437867 - CAT# Y185231
Series: The Middle East and North Africa
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
Now in its sixty-second edition, this title continues to provide the most up-to-date geo-political and economic information for this important world area.
- covers the Middle East and North Africa from Algeria to Yemen
- includes topical contributions from acknowledged experts on regional affairs
- accurately and impartially records the latest political and economic developments
- provides comprehensive data on all major organizations active in the countries of the region.
- introductory essays cover a wide range of topics relating to the region as a whole.
Individual chapters on each country incorporating:
- essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy
- an extensive statistical survey of economic and social indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory with names, addresses and contact details covering the constitution, government, legislature, political organizations, election commissions, diplomatic representation, judiciary, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry (including petroleum and natural gas), tourism, defence and education
- a country-specific bibliography, providing suggestions for further research.
- includes all major international organizations active in the Middle East and North Africa; research institutes specializing in the region; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
'There is simply nothing else on the market that provides as much material on each of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa in one volume.' -Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies
'Probably the best one-volume reference book in English on the Middle East and North Africa.' -International Affairs
'We have praised successive issues of this work so regularly that is becomes difficult to think up new eulogies, deserved though they are.' -World Affairs Report
'It is an excellent source of reference ... strongly recommended for scholars, government officials and businessmen.' -Middle East Business Review
'You could enquire within for pretty well anything relating to the region and get an answer.' -Times Literary Supplement