Highly commended in the Public Health category, BMA Medical Awards 2010
There are enormous health benefits from tackling climate change. This is the first book to set out what health practitioners can do to prevent the worst impacts of climate change, to make health services sustainable, and to design healthy, sustainable communities.
- provides an introduction for health practitioners and students to climate change and its current and future health impacts
- describes the relationship between health and the environment
- gives facts and figures on greenhouse gas emissions
- sets out the huge benefits to health of acting on climate change
- explains what health practitioners can do - at home, at work and in their organizations, and
- shows how you can support action in communities, nationally and globally.
Essential reading for:
- health professionals, local government, built environment professionals
- students across all sectors of health, medicine and public administration
- community and voluntary sector, NGOs
- the business community involved in private healthcare.
The Health Practitioner's Guide to Climate Change is written by an authoritative group of authors from key organisations in the field, including the Met Office, the Faculty of Public Health, Natural England, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the Climate and Health Council, the NHS Sustainable Development Unit, the Health Protection Agency, the University of the West of England, Sustrans and the National Social Marketing Centre.
Sponsored by The National Heart Forum and the National Social Marketing Centre.
Foreword by Dr. R.K. Pachauri, Director General, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and Chairman, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Table of Contents
Part I: Information
1. Greenhouse Gas Emissions - The Hard Facts
2. Climate Change is Deadly - The Health Impacts of Climate Change
3. Health and the Natural Environment
4. The Health Benefits of Action on Climate Change
Part II: Action
5. Leadership: How to Influence National and International Policy
6. How to Help to Plan a Healthy, Sustainable, Low-carbon Community
7. How You Can Make a Real Difference
8. How to Help People to Change Behaviour
9. How to Take Action in the Community
10. How to Help Organisations to Take Action
11. How Health Services Can Act
12. How to Prepare for the Health Effects of Climate Change