How did Accor, Cendant, Choice Hotels International, Marriott, and Hilton become the largest hotel chains in the worldand what strategies will they use to continue their growth?
This first-of-its-kind textbook presents a balanced overview of the theory and practice of hotel chains’ growth strategies. It explains in-depth how and why the largest worldwide hotel chains achieved dominant international status and shows how to forecast future developments. Authentic international examples in every chapter bring theoretical concepts into sharp focus.
The Growth Strategies of Hotel Chains: Best Practices by Leading Companies is comprised of thirteen chapters, each divided into two parts. The first part sets forth the theory behind an important aspect of growth strategy. The second part of each chapter brings these theoretical arguments to life with specific case examples. For example, in the chapter on franchising, the ten largest hotel franchise businesses in the world are discussed in detailincluding their actual fees and how they function, with helpful commentary on each. This format, designed with educators’ needs in mind, is consistent throughout the text. Charts, tables, and figures make complex information easy to access and understand.
The Growth Strategies of Hotel Chains: Best Practices by Leading Companies examines:
- the question of diversification vs. specialization
- vertical, horizontal, and diagonal integration
- acquisitions, mergers, and strategic alliances
- franchise contracts, management contracts, leaseholds, and ownership
- branding and globalization
- why European chains usually expand via property acquisitions and rentals while most American chains prefer management contracts and franchising
Packed with information yet written in language that students and hospitality executives can understand, this unique, comprehensive textbook deserves a place in every teaching/training/professional library.