A systematic survey of all the countries of East Asia, South Asia, South-East Asia, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.
* Essential for anyone with a professional interest in the region
* Keeps up-to-date with current economic and political developments
* Presents over 1,400 pages of statistics, directory material and expert analysis.
* Informative articles on contemporary issues relating to the area as a whole. Topics include: Current Security Issues in Asia; Population in Asia and the Pacific; Environmental Issues of Asia and the Pacific; The Religions of Asia Pacific and The Asian-Pacific Community in the Pacific Century.
* Individual chapters on each country containing: articles n geography, history and the economy; an economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on population, agriculture, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, and education; a directory of names, addresses and contact numbers covering the constitution, government, legislature, judiciary, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religion, the media, finance, trade, industry, tourism, defence and education; a select bibliography.
* Includes all major international organizations active in the region, their aims, activities, publications and principal personnel; a detailed survey of major commodities in Asia and the Pacific; a directory of research institutes specializing in the region; select bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the Far East and Australasia; and an index of regional organizations.
'A standard reference source of proven merit.' - International Affairs
'A reference source that no library should be without.' - The Geographical Journal