Published December 12, 2014
ISBN 9781857437478 - CAT# Y168894
Series: The Europa Regional Surveys of the World
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
SAVE ~$1,603.80 on each
The Europa Regional Surveys of the World 2015 is a timely and authoritative reference source, vast in its scope. The set consists of nine volumes, covering all the world regions, from South Asia to North America. These can be purchased individually or together.
Each volume provides a vast range of background material, statistics, directory information and expert analysis of the social, political and economic situation for each of the individual countries within that region. Whether you want to source authoritative data on copper output in Chile, or gather information on the recent uprisings in North Africa and the Middle East, the Regional Surveys can be your first port of call. Users will also find useful directory information, including email and telephone numbers, for key contacts in government, finance, tourism, etc.
Titles in the series: Africa South of the Sahara; Central and South-Eastern Europe; Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia; The Far East and Australasia; The Middle East and North Africa; South America, Central America and the Caribbean; South Asia; The USA and Canada; and Western Europe.
New for 2015:
Central and South Eastern Europe
- discussion and expert analysis of elections throughout the region
- details of developments in relations with the EU for current and prospective members, and within the eurozone
- fully revised essay content, including new essays on the post-Socialist economies and on Islam in the region.
- a new essay examining gender-based inequalities in South Asian development, and a new article on the economy of Nepal
- a section dedicated to Telangana, India’s newest state
- detailed coverage of political developments following highly significant elections in India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Maldives and Nepal.
South America, Central America and the Caribbean
- new essays detailing Latin America’s burgeoning relationship with the People’s Republic of China and examining the geopolitics of energy in the Caribbean
- analysis of all recent elections in the region, including the re-election of Juan Manuel Santos in Colombia and the changes of government in the Central American countries of Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Panama
- completely revised articles on political change in Latin America, violence and insecurity in Mexico, reassessing the war on drugs in Latin America and natural hazards in the Caribbean.
Middle East and North Africa
- a brand new essay on the prospects for Kurdish autonomy and independence
- full details and analysis of the accession of Abd al-Fatah al-Sisi to the Egyptian presidency
- extensive coverage of the ongoing conflict between Government and opposition forces in Syria, and of the political and military crisis in Iraq.
Africa South of the Sahara
- fully revised government lists for all countries
- details on major news stories over the past 12 months
- election results from Guinea-Bissau, Malawi, South Africa and Mauritania
- new essays on Ghana, Nigeria, Mauritania, Mozambique and Uganda.
- new essays examining energy security in Western Europe and mainstream parties and immigration, and fully revised essays on the European Union, the economies of the eurozone, the region’s defence policies, Western Europe and emerging economies, the environment, and parties of the populist right
- analysis of recent elections in the region, including Belgium and Sweden
- details of cabinet reorganizations and new heads of state in the region.
Far East and Australasia
- details of developments around the 12th successful coup in Thailand since 1932
- coverage of the parliamentary and presidential elections in Indonesia, leading to the election of Joko Widodo as the country’s next President
- analysis of the tensions surrounding China’s territorial claims in the South and East China Seas.
Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia
- extensive discussion of the political developments in Ukraine that led to the removal from office of President Viktor Yanukovych and the subsequent annexation of Crimea and Sevastopol by Russia
- a new essay discussing the separatist movements in Eastern Ukraine and their association with Russian state structures
- an overview of the radically revised Constitution of Georgia that entered into effect in late 2013, substantially reducing the powers of the President and increasing those of the Prime Minister and the Government
- coverage of the regional elections held in many territories of the Russian Federation in September 2014.
USA and Canada
- new essays on US and Canadian foreign policy, the Canadian services sector
- new material examining the challenges confronting indigenous peoples in the USA.