Welcome to CRCPress.com! We have customized the Taylor & Francis India website to host CRC Press titles. Please choose www.TandFIndia.com to get the following benefits:
South Asia Editions of CRC Press titles with INR prices
Multiple options to purchase locally
All CRC Press products available
Your CRC Press login credentials will work on TandFIndia.com
Garland Science Website Announcement
The Garland Science website is no longer available to access and you have been automatically redirected to CRCPress.com.
All instructor resources (*see Exceptions) are now available on our Instructor Hub. Your GarlandScience.com instructor credentials will not grant access to the Hub, but existing and new users may request access here.
The student resources previously accessed via GarlandScience.com are no longer available to existing or new users.
States today play a major role in implementing and enforcing environmental laws such as the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. A thirty year review of ESA identified state leadership in species conservation as a necessary element in better conserving the nation‘s imperiled species, yet the theoretical and practical reasons and applications of an enhanced state role are little understood and have not been subjected to any meaningful analysis.
This book, for the first time, presents the legal and policy analysis for federalism considerations in implementing ESA. The book undertakes a comprehensive analysis of the economic rationale for federalism in ESA administration; compares administration of ESA to other major environmental statutes; reviews various tools under the existing Act to enhance state role in species conservation; evaluates major case studies to determine roles the state can play in species conservation and recovery; and concludes with policy recommendations to encourage greater state involvement in species conservation.
Table of Contents
PART I INTRODUCTION
1. Federalism under the Endangered Species Act
PART II FRAMEWORKS
2. An Economic Perspective on Environmental Federalism: The Optimal Locus of Endangered Species Authority
3. Cooperative Federalism and the Endangered Species Act: A Comparative Assessment and Call for Change
PART III OPPORTUNITIES FOR STATE & LOCAL INVOLVEMENT UNDER THE ESA
4. Listing Decisions, Conservation Agreements, and State-Federal Collaboration: A Litigation Perspective
5. The Evolution of Federalism under Section 6 of the Endangered Species Act
6. California's Natural Community Conservation Planning Program: Saving Species Habitat Amidst Rising Developing
7. Toward an Improved Federalism under the Endangered Species Act
PART IV CASE STUDIES
8. The Karner Blue Butterfly: Wisconsin's Statewide Habitat Conservation Plan
9. The Red-Cockaded Woodpecker: Conservation Through Statewide Safe Harbor Agreements
10. Saving Salmo: Federalism and the Conservation of Maine's Atlantic Salmon
11. Oregon Coast Coho Restoration and the Endangered Species Act
12. Grizzly Bear Conservation in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
PART V CONCLUDING THOUGHTS
13. Toward Greater State and Local Commitment
Barton H. Thompson, Jr. is professor of law and director of the Woods Institute at Stanford University.
Kaush Arha is concurrently a wildlife consultant to the Serengeti Research Institute and the governments of India and Mongolia. He remains affiliated with the Woods Institute at Stanford.
Most VitalSource eBooks are available in a reflowable EPUB format which allows you to resize text to suit you and enables other accessibility features. Where the content of the eBook requires a specific layout, or contains maths or other special characters, the eBook will be available in PDF (PBK) format, which cannot be reflowed. For both formats the functionality available will depend on how you access the ebook (via Bookshelf Online in your browser or via the Bookshelf app on your PC or mobile device).
CHOICE – Outstanding Academic Title – Award Winner
CHOICE – 2018 Outstanding Academic Title – Award Winner
Shingo Research and Professional Publication Award Winner
The country you have selected will result in the following:
Product pricing will be adjusted to match the corresponding currency.
The title will be removed from your cart because it is not available in this region.