Welcome to CRCPress.com! We have customized the Taylor & Francis India website to host CRC Press titles. Please choose www.TandFIndia.com to get the following benefits:
South Asia Editions of CRC Press titles with INR prices
Multiple options to purchase locally
All CRC Press products available
Your CRC Press login credentials will work on TandFIndia.com
Garland Science Website Announcement
The Garland Science website is no longer available to access and you have been automatically redirected to CRCPress.com.
All instructor resources (*see Exceptions) are now available on our Instructor Hub. Your GarlandScience.com instructor credentials will not grant access to the Hub, but existing and new users may request access here.
The student resources previously accessed via GarlandScience.com are no longer available to existing or new users.
This second edition continues to present the following special features of its highly successful predecessor:
* an analysis of the major partitionings of the MMPI into special scales in terms of their clinical usefulness, resulting in the selection of those scales that most discriminatingly and non-redundantly represent the core psychological traits and qualities captured by the MMPI;
* a number of individually developed scales that tap into additional aspects of validity, psychopathology, and adjustment and personality;
* the Indiana Special Scales which sample additional areas that were not as well identified or delineated by prior scale development;
* a critique of the foregoing selections in light of the extant MMPI literature (which this second edition further expands up to the current time) and of a major investigation at the Indiana University Medical School of the conjoint use of special scales;
* a critique of the shortcomings of high-point codes;
* a detailed, categorized listing of the most useful scales in empirical clusters based on their established intercorrelations such that not only scale elevations but also interrelations (and the departures from the expected) of scales become clinically interpretable;
* an exploration of the interrelationships between Rorschach and MMPI variables, leading to complementary use of these two instruments.
This second edition also takes into account the development of MMPI-2 and the status of its new special scales vis-a-vis the established scales derived from the original MMPI. In so doing, it indicates why the original scales continue to offer substantial advantages over the MMPI-2 scales. It further examines changes in the nosology of personality disorders and proposes special scale markers for these disorders as they have been clarified progressively through DSM-IV.
This volume offers the MMPI user a library of psychological report statements based on special scale interpretation, with recommended score ranges and cutting points for particular inferences. These latter features appear together as an appendix styled as "The Human Computer." Unlike the typical computer-generated report, this appendix makes all decision rules explicit, thereby permitting the user to use the library of statements with full knowledge of their applicability. By retaining the element of clinical judgment -- the human dimension of inference -- the user is enabled to better integrate MMPI special scale findings with data from other sources while in the process of crafting the report. All of these new features are accompanied by applicable literature citations.
Table of Contents
Contents: Preface to the Second Edition. Special Scales Key. Introduction. The Validity Scales. Some Useful Special Scales. The Assessment of Psychopathology. The Measurement of Adjustment and Personality. MMPI Special Scales and the Rorschach. The Fate of Original MMPI Special Scales in MMPI-2. The MMPI-2 Content Scales. Appendices: Special Scales: Item Composition and Sources. Demographic Description of the Indiana Sample. Means and Standard Deviations for the Special Scales Based on the Indiana Sample Data. Obvious-Subtle Ratings for the Special Scales. The Human Computer Program. Special Scales Excluded from Appendix V.
We provide complimentary e-inspection copies of primary textbooks to instructors considering our books for course adoption.
Most VitalSource eBooks are available in a reflowable EPUB format which allows you to resize text to suit you and enables other accessibility features. Where the content of the eBook requires a specific layout, or contains maths or other special characters, the eBook will be available in PDF (PBK) format, which cannot be reflowed. For both formats the functionality available will depend on how you access the ebook (via Bookshelf Online in your browser or via the Bookshelf app on your PC or mobile device).
CHOICE – Outstanding Academic Title – Award Winner
CHOICE – 2018 Outstanding Academic Title – Award Winner
Shingo Research and Professional Publication Award Winner
The country you have selected will result in the following:
Product pricing will be adjusted to match the corresponding currency.
The title will be removed from your cart because it is not available in this region.