The latest findings about the environmental, social, and economic impact of sustainable forestry
Forestry is one of the most important foundations of the Scandinavian economies. Sustainable Forestry in Southern Sweden: The SUFOR Research Project closely reviews the findings from the eight-year research program first launched in 1997 that searched for ways to maintain sustainable forestry in the region. Respected scholars and experts discuss ways to bridge the chasm separating the world of research with the world of trade and industry. Biodiversity, the impact of humans, environmental conditions, and other facets of sustainability are all presented and discussed in detail.
Sustainable Forestry in Southern Sweden begins with an overview of Swedish forestry and the sustainability debate in Sweden. The full range of human impact is examined in detail with an eye on biodiversity issues. Other research includes the effect of deer browsing on forest development, the importance of root distribution, nutrient sustainability, fresh strategies for long-term forest sustainability, active risk management, and important policy issues. The book is extensively referenced and includes several tables to ensure clarity of data.
Sustainable Forestry in Southern Sweden discusses in detail:
- the background of the SUFOR program
- the impact of lower fire-frequency on forest biodiversity
- transforming research results into useful knowledge for forest practitioners
- balancing costs and benefits related to deer and moose population density
- effects of adverse environmental conditions on sensitive trees
- nutrient availability in plant productivity
- applicability of mixed stands in sustainable forestry
- weathering rates of forest soils
- analysis of sustainability conditions from environmental, social, and economic standpoints
- multi-objective forest landscape projection models
- risk management in sustainable forestry
- moving from policy to implementation of sustainability and biodiversity
- policy implications resulting from the SUFOR program
Sustainable Forestry in Southern Sweden is enlightening, informative reading for scholars, students, and practitioners in land management issues.