A global view of responsible forestry management
Sustainable Forestry Management and Wood Production in a Global Economy examines emerging issues and key strategies for sustaining wood production while maintaining other forest resources. Internationally recognized forestry experts explore a broad range of topics on sustainable forestry at the local and global levels in the United States and around the world. Issues discussed include the development of conservation reserves in Australia; the silviculture of Scottish forests; barriers and opportunities for management in Central America; monitoring sustainable forest management in the Pacific Rim region; tropical Eucalypt plantations; and recent research projects in Europe.
Achieving a constant flow of forest goods and services to meet the world’s needs takes socially and environmentally acceptable solutions. Sustainable Forestry Management and Wood Production in a Global Economy offers a diverse set of learned viewpoints integrating production issues within sustainable forest management. Influences on decision making are discussed, such as pricing, replanting, and subsidies. Future challenges are examined in detail, pollution and climate change. This valuable resource is extensively referenced and includes useful tables and figures.
Topics in Sustainable Forestry Management and Wood Production in a Global Economy include:
- sustainable forestry from different scales ranging from local to international
- wood production and sustainable forest management in the United States
- development of conservation reserves and changes in forest management policies in Australia
- sustainability of European forests using examples from a variety of recent research projects
- barriers and opportunities for sustainable forestry in Central America
- silviculture and Scottish forestry at a time of change
- monitoring sustainable forest management in the Pacific Rim region
- increasing and sustaining productivity of tropical Eucalypt plantations over multiple rotations
Sustainable Forestry Management and Wood Production in a Global Economy is a valuable, timely resource for forestry researchers, forest landowners and managers, forest policy specialists, educators, and students of sustainable forest management.