Nicola Rinaldo Porro, Stefano Martelli, Alberto Testa
April 28, 2020 Forthcoming
Reference - 208 Pages - 6 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9780815360513 - CAT# K346870
Series: Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society
Sport is often seen as an indicator of the civic maturity of a community, an aspect of the rights of citizens to health, education and social integration. This book examines the relationships between participation in sport and physical activity, and welfare policies across Europe.
It argues that the success of campaigns for the promotion of sport depend on the existence of dedicated welfare policies promoted by the European states and explores variations in cultural models and structures of governance across Europe. Addressing the function of supranational institutions such as the EU as well as voluntary networks, the book illuminates key issues in European societies such as migration, financial austerity and Brexit as they relate to sport policy.
This is important reading for scholars and students in the fields of European sport and physical activity, sociology, political science and organisational analysis, as well as operators and managers of the sport systems involved in advanced training programmes.
1. Introduction: Sport and the citizens of a disenchanted Europe
Nicola Rinaldo Porro, Stefano Martellli, Alberto Testa
Part I: Sports Policies, Non-Profit and Social Issues
2. Migrants’ social integration through movement practices?
3. Sport and the ‘question’ of Islam in Europe
4. European sport systems and the voluntary sector: non-profit organisations race for sport development
Nico Bortoletto and Alessandro Porrovecchio
5. Sport in jail: a sociological comparative perspective
Part II: The Sport of Citizenship: An Incipient Europeanisation?
6. The Europeanisation of sport: sociology of a new European public action
7. The organisation of sport and sports policies in Germany
8. Sports organisations and policies in France
9. Sport and welfare in Britain
10. Welfare and sports policies in contemporary Italy
Nicola Rinaldo Porro
11. Physical activity and sport in Spain
Juan Antonio Simón Sanjurjo
12. Sport and welfare in central and eastern European countries
Simona Kustec and Simon Ličen
13. In the homeland of sport for all: the Scandinavian countries
14. Conclusion: Established models of European sport revisited from a socio-politological approach