Bina Sengar, Laurie Hovell McMillin
September 25, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 244 Pages - 30 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9780815392583 - CAT# K343121
This proposed book examines places and spaces in western India both as geographical locations and imagined constructs. It explores the many ways that spaces in the Maharashtra region have been constructed over time and how these reflect in art and architecture, literature and religious texts, political movements and in creations of identity. Historically, Maharashtra was at the crossroads of cultural connection and has been shaped by the interactions of many people moving through and settling in the region. Consequently, numerous cultural constructions offer rich sites for exploring constructions of space and place, both in historical and contemporary settings. The rich examples analyzed in this volume include, Maratha architecture, Mahanubhav pilgrimage sites, examples of bhakti and Sufi literature, Maharashtrian Sikh identity, and Girgaon, a contested space in Mumbai. Taking a multidimensional approach—engagements from social sciences, humanities, scientific studies pertaining to geography—this book widens the scope of academic discussions on the theme of space and place.
This volume will be useful for scholars and researchers of history, cultural studies, city studies, sociology.
Part I: Contextualizing spaces and places of literature and art and Maharashtrian culture and its exclusivity through Maratha and Maharashtrian culture, its art and architectural spaces.
1. Continuities and Traces: Early Maratha Architecture and The Deccan Sultanates Pushkar Sohoni
2. Blurred Lines: History, Memory and The Meanings of Maharashtra Daniel Jasper
3. Mapping The Transition of the Land Revenue System in Western India from The Pre-Colonial to The Early Colonial Period Michihiro Ogawa
4. Place and Space in Monetary History of 18th-19th Century Maharashtra: Some Insights Shailendra Bhandare
5. History, Memory, and Meaning at Karla Laurie McMillin
Part II: Spiritual spaces in Maharashtra and Maharashtrian Literature of Bhakti and Sufism
6. The Significance of Place in Mahānubhāv Literature Anne Feldhaus
7. Seven Sufi Brothers: Place and Space-Making in Konkan Deepra Dandekar
8. Emplacing the Holiness: Rural Muslim Religiosity between Vaishnavas, Sufis and Demons Dusan Deak
9. Dakhani Sikhs: Issues of Identity in Maharashtrian Spaces Birinder Pal Singh
Part III: Urban, rural spaces and indigenous spaces in Maharashtrian politics and environment
10. Place of Stones and Place of Flowers: Discourses On Samyukta Maharashtra Rahul Sarwate
11. Girgaon: A Zone Of Politico-Cultural Contestation In Mumbai Aruna Pendse
12. Internet as an Emancipatory Space - Case Study of the Dalits Shraddha Kumbhojkar
13. Creating Spaces for Indigeneity from Nizam’s Hyderabad State to Maharashtra Bina Sengar
14. The Aftermath of Placeless Space: Mapped, Delimited, Bifurcated, Merged. A Phenomena of Dewas S. and Dewas J. Irina Glushkova