Published September 14, 2006
Reference - 1076 Pages
ISBN 9781857433920 - CAT# RU3920Z
Series: South America, Central America and the Caribbean
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
* An unrivalled survey on the countries and territories of this immense region
* Includes contributions from acknowledged authorities who examine topics of regional importance.
Thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by acknowledged experts covering issues of regional importance are examined by acknowledged authorities of the area, subjects covered include: Religion in Twenty-First Century Latin America; Indigenous Peoples in Latin America in the Twenty-First Century; The Geopolitics of Relations in North America: A Mexican Perspective; El Niño: A Latin American Phenomenon? ; Combating Money-Laundering and Terrorist Financing in the Caribbean; Debt, Finance and the IMF; The Andean Regional Initiative; and Central America and 'El Norte': an Introduction to Latin American Politics.
Individual chapters on each country and territory incorporating:
* An introductory survey, containing essays on the history and economy of each country, as well as physical and social geographies of each country, including maps
* An extensive economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
* A full directory section with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail and internet addresses covering the constitution, government, legislature, judiciary, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
* A select bibliography, containing suggestions for further research.
'This is a magnificent compilation of timely information on an area of the world for which reliable data is often in short supply.' - American Reference Book Annual
'Remains an exemplary reference work for students of the area.' - International Affairs
'The range and authority of the facts and statistics provided are again without equal wihtin a single publication.' - Reference Reviews
'An essential research tool, offering a wealth of up-to-date figures and analysis.' - Latin American Bureau
'This excellent reference source is a wealth of essential current and historical information for all the New World South of the US.' - Choice
'An obligatory title for all reference collections.' - Riverina Library Review