Published March 19, 2019
Reference - 202 Pages
ISBN 9780367198121 - CAT# K418143
SAVE ~$31.00 on each
Sonic Encounters with Blanchot is the first book to explore the relationship of sound and music with the work of Maurice Blanchot.
The volume brings together scholars from a range of disciplines who listen closely to the sounds and resonances emanating from within Blanchot’s work and who consider their significance both within his work and beyond. The latent and explicit sonic content of Blanchot’s writing is explored, as is his treatment of music and the possibilities of thinking about contemporary music and sound art through his work. Although Blanchot is best known for his engagement with literature, an engagement that often relies on visual references and experiences, this collection takes a sonic route into one of the most exciting and demanding thinkers of the twentieth century.
As an interdisciplinary exploration of sound and Blanchot’s work, this book will be interest to those studying sound in literature and music, as well as students of Blanchot’s work in general. This book was originally published as a special issue of Angelaki.
Introduction: Blanchot and Sound
1. The Homage to Debussy at the Théâtre Des Champs-Elysées
Maurice Blanchot and Michael Holland
2. From Dialectics to the Diabolical: adorno’s "new music" and blanchot’s "ars nova"
3. White Noise, Écriture Blanche
William S. Allen
4. Passive Noise
5. Aesthetic Autophony and the Night: blanchot, kafka, kimsooja, burial
6. Affects, Indexes and Signs: will oldham and the authenticity of the voice in popular music
7. Dispersion in Sound
François J. Bonnet, Alain Toumayan
8. Blanchot and the Resonant Spaces of Literature, Sound, Art and Thought
9. In the Absence of Noise, Nothing Sounds: blanchot and the performance of harsh noise wall
10. The Call of the Disaster at the Borderland of Silence
Leslie Anne Boldt
11. Sonic Booms in Blanchot
12. Rumors of the Outside: blanchot’s murmurs and the indistinction of literature
13. Orpheus and the Vanishing Note: xenosonics, katabasis, daemonotechnics