One of the five books in the Mental Health and Wellbeing Toolkit
, this practical resource focuses on the topic of ‘Skills for Learning’. The book offers research-driven, practical strategies, resources and lesson plans to support educators and health professionals. This is a resource book for practitioners looking to have a positive impact on the mental health and wellbeing of the children and young people in their care; both now and in the future.
Chapters span key topics including Metacognition, Learning Dimensions, Problem Solving and Cognitive Strategies. A complete toolkit for teachers and counsellors, this book offers:
- Easy to follow, and flexible, lesson plans that can be adapted and personalised for use in lessons or smaller groups or 1:1 work
- Resources that are linked to the PSHE and Wellbeing curriculum for KS1, KS2 and KS3
- New research, ‘Circles for Learning’, where the introduction of baby observation into the classroom by a teacher is used to understand and develop self-awareness, skills for learning, relationships, neuroscience and awareness of others
- Sections on the development of key skills in communication, skills for learning, collaboration, empathy and self-confidence
- Learning links, learning objectives and reflection questions.
Offering research-driven, practical strategies and lesson plans, Skills for Effective Learning in School is an essential resource book for educators and health professionals looking to have a positive impact on the mental health and wellbeing of the children in their care; both now and in the future.
Table of Contents
- Thinking about Thinking
- Planning our Project
- Monitoring our Learning
- Reviewing our Work
Curiosity: A wish to know and find out and dig beneath the surface.
- Exploring Questions Part 1
- Exploring Questions Part 2
- Exploring Questions Part 3
- The Why Ladder
- Risk Friendly Climate
- New Words
Changing and Learning: A sense of getting better at learning over time and of growing and changing and adapting as a learner in the whole of life
- Different Ways of Learning
- My Learning Toolkit/What are my Learning Strategies
- Look what I Can do Now!
Learning Relationships: Learning with and from others, and also being able to manage without them.
- Create an Advert to Celebrate Who You Are.
- The Build A Brain Team Challenge
- What is Team Work
- Skills for Collaboration
- Constructive Feedback
Meaning Making: Making connections and seeing that learning matters to me.
- Before Baby Arrives
- Lets Relax
- Thinking Chains
- Everything That Had To Happen to Make This.
Strategic Awareness: A sense of myself as someone who learns and changes over time.
- What is Learning?
- My Learning Strategies
- The Emotions of Learning
- Performance and My Learning Zone
Resilience: The ability to keep going to develop my own learning, to stick it out and get what I want and need to keep growing and learning.
- What is Resilience?
- Resilience and Persistence
- Be Your Own Life Coach
- Stress Management
- The Best Mistake I Ever Made
Creativity: Risk taking, playfulness, imagination and intuition.
- My Little Book of Ideas
- Think Up A Storm
- Ready Steady Make a Game
- Good Luck Bad Luck
- Problem Solving Part 1
- Problem Solving Part 2
- Problem Solving Part 3
- What Should I do?
- Mind Maps