Strategies and tools to help you plan, build, and maintain your library collection!
Selecting Materials for Library Collections takes you step-by-step through the process of planning, building, and maintaining a quality library collection. This up-to-date guide addresses the interests and concerns of academic and public libraries with expert advice on budgets, policies, and planning. The book examines print, non-print, and Internet selection resources, including the OCLC WorldCat Database and ACQNET-L. You’ll find valuable information you can apply right away to help you keep any collection relevant and up-to-date!
Selecting Materials for Library Collections provides the tools you need to keep your library collection current. Seasoned experts share their thoughts on how to analyze your users’ expectations and then provide them with the materials they need. The contributors also examine the selection aids that they use in their own acquisitions work and then look at how to achieve a balanced collection that efficiently serves their clients’ needs. Supplementary reading lists and extensive bibliographies provide you with additional resources.
Selecting Materials for Library Collections presents the latest information on:
- using print, non-print, and Internet selection resources such as OCLC WorldCat database and ACQNET-L
- initial collection assessment and decision making
- collection tool evaluations
- acquiring international core titles
- the New Thought movement
- approval plansset-up, maintenance, and evaluation
- the newest technology for media selection
- specialized library collections in music, art, business, economics, health, sports, leisure, and more