Boot campswhat are their effects on criminal behavior?
Public and political support for boot camps as alternative correctional facilities has rarely faltered since their inception decades ago, though their efficacy remains uncertain. Rehabilitation Issues, Problems, and Prospects in Boot Camp explores all facets of the controversial issue, from the attitudes and perceptions of the public, to the political motivations in maintaining them, on to the latest research on the camps and their graduates. Respected authorities discuss boot camps’ effectiveness on diverse groups according to age, gender, race, and correctional facility. Cost factors between boot camps and other correctional institutions are compared, along with the latest criminal recidivism data.
Boot camps provide inmates with an uncomfortable, paramilitary-style environment with an eye toward shorter incarceration time, lower costs, and more positive effects on criminal behavior. Does this correctional model work as anticipated? Rehabilitation Issues, Problems, and Prospects in Boot Camp gives you the facts, revealing the public and political arguments for and against boot camps as well as the research on the theoretical predictors of criminal recidivism and the differing attitudes of attendees toward the facilities according to gender and race. Critical policy issues are identified and discussed in-depth, with particular emphasis given to the positive and negative aspects of rehabilitation possibilities of boot camps. Helpful tables clearly illustrate statistics while extensive references provide opportunities for further insight.
Rehabilitation Issues, Problems, and Prospects in Boot Camp explores questions such as:
- criminal recidivismwhat are the theoretical predictors?
- what effect does gender have on criminal recidivism?
- what is the effect of this hypermasculine paramilitary prison environment have on males and females?
- what are the differences between Native American and non-Native American perceptions of boot camp?
- is the perceived severity of boot camp different for gender?
- what is the process for policymaking in creating and maintaining boot camps?
- what role does politics play in the continuation of boot camps?
- what corrections to boot camp facilities should be made based upon evidence and research?
Rehabilitation Issues, Problems, and Prospects in Boot Camp is a thorough examination of the social and political issues about boot camps that makes essential reading for educators, students, sociologists, criminologists, psychologists, counselors, and criminal justice professionals.