Recent Advances in Surgery 31 is the latest volume in the successful and well-established Recent Advances series. This title is updated annually, covering the latest trends within surgery and reflecting any changes to the professional examinations for surgeons.
Suitable for experienced medical professionals, as well as students and candidates of the MRCS/AFRCS, this edition reviews the latest trends within surgery and forms a useful update of general surgery for candidates of the Intercollegiate examination.
Over 30 contributors, who are recognized experts in their particular field, provide in-depth reviews of important topics relevant to the management of all surgical patients and advancing areas in surgical subspecialties.
Table of Contents
TRAINING AND TECHNIQUES IN GENERAL SURGERY
1. Virtual reality simulation in surgery for objective assessment,
education, and training - Anthony G. Gallagher, Emily Boyle
2. The use of drains in gastrointestinal surgery - James A. Catton, Dileep N. Lobo
GENERAL ABDOMINAL SURGERY
3. Laparoscopic management of the acute abdomen - Miguel A. Cuesta, Donald van der Peet, Alexander A.F.A. Veenhof
4. General surgical procedures after liver or kidney transplantation - Gabriel C. Oniscu, John A.C. Buckels
5. Bariatric surgery: rationale, development and current status - Samer Humadi, Richard Welbourn
6. Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy for pancreatic cancer - Sangeeta A. Paisey, Andrew R. Bateman
7. Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas - Mohammad Abu Hilal, Lashan Peiris, Roberto Salvia
8. Gastrointestinal stromal tumours - Gary K. Atkin, Jeremy I. Livingstone
9. Imaging the small bowel: new techniques and problems in clinical practice - Alistair F. Myers, Tim J.C. Bryant, Nicholas E. Beck
10. Laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer: current practice and training - Tahseen Qureshi, Daniel Oâ€™Leary, Amjad Parvaiz
11. TEMS for tumours of the rectum - Rowan J. Collinson, Neil J. McC. Mortensen
12. Stroke and cerebrovertebral reconstruction - Sayed Aly, John McHale, Stephen Barker
13. Sentinel node biopsy and axillary surgery in breast surgery - Fiona McCaig, Udi Chetty
14. Randomised clinical trials in surgery 2007 - Marcello Spampinato, Hassan Elberm, Colin D. Johnson