April 29, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 256 Pages - 6 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9781138579934 - CAT# K376109
Series: Routledge Contemporary China Series
The first systematic, comprehensive and critical English-language study of radio in China, this book documents a historical understanding of Chinese radio from the early twentieth century to the present.
Covering both public matters and private lives, Radio and Social Transformation in China analyses a range of themes from health care, migration and education, to intimacy, family and friendship. Through a concentrated and thorough scrutiny of a variety of new genres and radio practices in post-Mao China, it also investigates the interaction between radio and social change, particularly in the era of economic reform. Building on the core theoretical concept of ‘compressed modernity’, each of the radio genres explored is shown to embody China’s efforts to achieve modernity, while simultaneously exemplifying radio’s capacity to manage the challenges that have arisen from the country’s distinctive and perhaps unique process of modernization.
Written in an engaging style, this book makes an important contribution to radio history internationally. As such, it will be of great interest to students and scholars of broadcast media, radio and Communication Studies, as well as Chinese culture and society.
1. Transforming Radio in China: Introduction to an Understudied Medium
2. Radio and a Revolutionary China: From the Republic of China era to the Mao era
3. Radio News and the Articulation of One Voice: Continuity and Transformation of China National Radio’s Channel One
4. Late Night Talkback Radio: The Production of Intimacy in Post-Mao China
5. Health Infomercial Radio: Privatization, Medicine and Self-responsibility in Post-Mao China
6. Drive Radio and the Construction of Urban Middle-class Identities: From Traffic Radio to the ‘Car World’
7. Digital Soundwork in Contemporary China: Uncertainty, Listening and the Betterment of "a Deficient Self"
8. Missed Opportunities and Future Challenges