Jeyabalan Sangeetha, Devarajan Thangadurai, Saniyasi Elumalai, Shivasharana Chandrabanda Thimmappa
Apple Academic Press
September 15, 2020 Forthcoming
Reference - 364 Pages - 10 Color & 35 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9781771888967 - CAT# K459705
Series: Innovations in Biotechnology
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
SAVE ~$35.99 on each
This volume explores and explains the vast uses and benefits of algae as food, feed, and fuel. It covers the most advanced applications of algae in the food and feed industries and for environmental sustainability. With chapters written by experts and which were extensively reviewed by many well-known subject experts and professionals, Phycobiotechnology: Biodiversity and Biotechnology of Algae and Algal Products for Food, Feed, and Fuel provides an abundance of valuable information.
Algae are a genetically diverse group of organisms with a wide range of physiological and biochemical characteristics that have unique capabilities in the fields of agriculture, pharmaceuticals, industry, and environment. Algae hold the potential to become the planet’s next major source of energy and a vital part of the solution for climate change and dependence on fossil fuels. Many varieties of algae are also known to be an abundant source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that can boost the human immune system.
1. Diversity and Distribution of Common Seaweeds from the West Coast of Maharashtra in India
Waghmode Ahilya Vitthal
2. Microalgal Biomarkers for Hydrocarbon Exploration in Peninsular India
Thimarayan Sangeetha, Sanniyasi Elumalai, and Gopal Rajesh Kanna
3. Bioactive Compounds from Algae
M. Jeya Bharathi
4. Prospecting Microalgae for Biomolecules and Biofuels
Roshan Kumar, Sanniyasi Elumalai, and Sunil Pabbi
5. Microalgal Biofuels: Current Status and Opportunities
Anurag Yadav and Kusum Yadav
6. Biofuels from Microalgae: Future Bio-Energies for Sustainable Development
Ramganesh Selvarajan et al.
7. Potential Health Benefits of Fucoidan: An Update
Thangaraj Vimala, Thinanoor Venugopal Poonguzhali, and Muthu Sakthivel
8. Cyanobacteria as a Promising Source of Therapeutic Agents against Various Human Diseases
Durdana Yasin et al.
9. Evaluation of Methods of Biomass Recovery and Lipid Extraction for Microalgae
Mariana Lara Menegazzo, Jane Mary Lafayette Neves Gelinski, and Gustavo Graciano Fonseca
10. DNA Rearrangements in Cyanobacterial Nitrogen Fixing Genes During Heterocyst Development
Neha Sami and Tasneem Fatma
11. Determination of Kinetic Parameters for Biotechnological Applications with Microalgae
Nathanya Nayla De Oliveira, Mariana Lara Menegazzo, and Gustavo Graciano Fonseca
12. Biotechnology of Microalgae: A Green Approach towards Exploitation of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Ramu Manjula and Manjunath Chavadi
13. Genetic Engineering as a Tool for Improved Applications of Algae
14. Algal Pathways and Metabolic Engineering for Enhanced Production of Lipids, Carbohydrates, and Bioactive Compounds
Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah et al.