Rebecca W. Gaudiosi, Jimena Leiva Roesch, Wu Ye-Min
March 22, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 156 Pages - 13 B/W Illustrations
ISBN 9781138590410 - CAT# K386748
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
SAVE ~$13.50 on each
This book offers a comprehensive practitioner's guide to negotiating at the United Nations.
Although much of the content can be applied broadly, the guide focuses on navigating multilateral negotiations at the UN. The book is a tool to help new UN negotiators, explaining basic negotiation concepts and offering insight into the complexities of the UN system. It also offers a playbook for cooperation for negotiators at any level, exploring the dynamics of relationships and alliances, the art of chairing a negotiation, and the importance of balancing the power asymmetries present in any multilateral discussion. The book proposes improvements to the UN negotiation process and looks at the impact of information technologies on negotiation dynamics; it also shares stories from women UN delegates, illustrating what it means to be a female negotiator at the UN. This book is an exploration of the power of the individual in any negotiation, and of the responsibility all negotiators have in wielding that power to speak for a better world.
This book will be of much interest to students of diplomacy, global governance, foreign policy, and International Relations, as well as practitioners and policymakers.
Part I: Negotiator Tool-Kit
1. Negotiating the Hard Stuff
2. Aren’t Interests and Positions the Same Thing?
Part II: Inside the UN
3. The Insider’s Guide to the UN Negotiation System
4. Don’t Go it Alone: Building Relationships and Alliances
5. Welcome to Negotiations Theatre: an Off-Broadway Production
6. I Call this Meeting to Order: Chairing UN Negotiations
7. Mitigating Asymmetric Power: the 800-pound Gorilla and the Fearless Ant
Part III: Working on It
8. I am a Female Negotiator: So What?
9. Please Excuse Us as We Upgrade our Process…and Software