What awaits lesbians at middle age?Midlife Lesbian Relationships explores the rich world of lesbian relationships at midlife, from dating through the loss of parents, and describes the central relationship between who we are as adults and our connections with friends, lovers, parents, and children.Midlife Lesbian Relationships will help lesbians and the professionals who counsel them navigate and understand the midlife transition. Offering both theoretical and descriptive material, this timely work discusses the difficulties of stigma and the strengths of female same-sex relationships, providing insight into the challenges lesbians find at middle age.Midlife Lesbian Relationships provides insight into the challenges and solutions of middle age for lesbians, discussing:
- dating and courtship
- couple relationships and the key ingredients that strengthen and deepen them
- parenting young children and the influence of lesbian midlife maturation on confidence and satisfaction in mothering
- substance abuse and the road to recovery
- the evolution of the bonds between these women and their biological families
- what many lesbians in middle age go through when their parents pass away, including the easing of internalized homophobia
Midlife Lesbian Relationships illustrates the commonalities and differences between lesbians and other women at midlife, and illuminates how the interplay between middle age and relationships can contribute to midlife development. Make this valuable volume part of your collection!