Discover the courageous, vibrant similarities and differences of lesbians in East Asia
How are same-sex relationships similar or different in the cultures of East Asia? Lesbians in East Asia: Diversity, Identities, and Resistance is a unique examination of research and vital issues involving lesbians and lesbianism in East Asia, using perspectives by academics and activists who typically are rarely published in English. Contributing experts from Hong Kong, mainland China, Japan, and Korea discuss a variety of topics, including solidarity and conflicts between lesbians and feminists, identities and identity politics, lesbian lives and families, and representation in mainstream culture.
Asia, because of its inherent language and cultural differences from Western society, is a location of a vast unrealized fount of knowledge about same-sex relationships and the societies in which they interact. Lesbians in East Asia: Diversity, Identities, and Resistance begins to fill this gap in knowledge, going beyond East-West divisions by gathering in one volume studies in Asia lesbian/queer studies of both the West and Asia. The text’s emphasis is on points of connection and cooperation across the cultures within Asia and between this region and other areas of the world. Diverse viewpoints and research on lesbians in China, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan are presented showing issues and concerns that may be differentand often are very similarto regions beyond those borders.
Topics in Lesbians in East Asia: Diversity, Identities, and Resistance include:
- lesbian rights and feminism in Korea
- emotional damage suffered in family, work, and school contexts, including self-denial
- analysis of Internet exchanges in China, highlighting those feeling that they should maintain a low profile and others showing disdain toward the lesbian lifestyle
- gender inequality and discrimination and their effects on self-sufficiency
- the effects of expectations of marriage or remaining single on economics, legal standpoints, and in school
- ignorance and intolerance in Korean and Japanese societies
- identity politics
- conflicts of ideas between lesbians and feminists
- and much more!
Lesbians in East Asia: Diversity, Identities, and Resistance is important, illuminating reading for academics and students in women’s studies, gender studies, queer/sexuality studies, East Asian studies, and activists in feminist movements.