This revised and updated edition reflects the changes that have taken place within the field of leisure and recreation management in recent years. Issues such as social inclusion, cultural strategy, exercise for health have risen to the top of the policy agenda. Commercial pressures, changes in the voluntary and public sector and emerging leisure professions such as sports development and playwork are all profoundly influencing the professional landscape.
Leisure and Recreation Management is the only book to cover leisure history, key leisure concepts, trends, provision, management practices and operational issues in one comprehensive volume.
· Leisure and Cultural Heritage - the social and historic factors shaping current leisure
· Themes in Leisure, Recreation and Play - understanding leisure as a social
· Leisure Planning and Provision - in the Public, voluntary and commercial sectors
· Leisure Products - exploring the key areas of tourism, the countryside, the arts, and sport
· Leisure Management - principles and practice for leadership, staffing, training, programming, event management, leisure marketing and more
Exploring every key concept and innovation, and with more student-friendly textbook features than ever before, Leisure and Recreation Management is essential reading for student and professional interested in the theory and practice of managing leisure and recreation services and facilities.
Table of Contents
1. INTRODUCTION 2. LEISURE IN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE 3. CULTURAL HERITAGE AND LEISURE 4. LEISURE AND RECREATION - A VARIETY OF MEANINGS 5. CHILDREN'S PLAY - FOUNDATION OF LEISURE 6. PEOPLE'S NEEDS AND LEISURE 7. LEISURE AND THE EXPERIENCE SOCIETY 8. THE PLEISURE PRINCIPLE 9. GOVERNMENT, THE PUBLIC SECTOR AND LEISURE 10. LEISURE PROVISION IN THE VOLUNTARY SECTOR 11. LEISURE PROVISION IN THE COMMERCIAL SECTOR 12. PLANNING FOR LEISURE AND RECREATION 13. TRENDS IN THE LEISURE INDUSTRY 14. TOURISM, HERITAGE AND LEISURE 15. THE ENVIRONMENT, COUNTRYSIDE AND OPEN SPACE 16. THE ARTS, MUSEUMS AND LIBRARIES 17. SPORT, PHYSICAL RECREATION AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY 18. MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES AND FOUNDATIONS 19. LEADERSHIP AND DECISION MAKING 20. MARKETING OF LEISURE AND RECREATION 21. PROGRAMMING LEISURE AND RECREATION SERVICES AND FACILITIES 22. EVENT MANAGEMENT 23. STAFFING AND ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURES 24. LEISURE AND RECREATION MANAGEMENT EDUCATION AND TRAINING 25. SUMMARY, DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS