Covering the entire United States gaming market, Legalized Casino Gaming in the United States provides gaming researchers, policymakers, and hospitality students comprehensive overview of the history, development, legislation, and economic and social impacts of riverboat, land-based, and Native American casino gaming. Containing national and regional research about the industry, this book will provide students with a historical view on gaming and the hospitality industry, offer researchers data and current market status of the industry; and will give policymakers information about the advantages and disadvantages of a gaming industry in their community.Comprehensive and thorough, Legalized Casino Gaming in the United States is full of case studies, data, and surveys that provide you with credible information on community incomes, residents’attitudes about gaming, and gaming taxes in certain states. This fact-filled book will help you evaluate and learn about the pros and cons of the industry, including:
- reviewing changes in the gaming laws and regulations in particular regions and segments of the industry
- explaining laws and regulations by state for riverboat and other Native American land-based gaming
- examining negative and positive social impacts of gaming, including crime; quality of life; community services; availability of entertainment, recreation, and cultural activities; community attractiveness, such as reputation, appearance, cleanliness, and traffic; local resident attitudes; and pathological gaming
- explaining Nevada’s gaming regulatory system, including the roles of the Nevada Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board, and discussing issues related to currency transactions, exclusion lists, work permits, customer disputes, and underage gambling
- discussing positive economic aspects of Native American gaming, such as tax benefits, in Connecticut, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Minnesota, and how the industry impacts surrounding communities
Examining the industry from ethical, economic, and social standpoints, the contributors offer you several perspectives of a situation, not just one side of an issue, to help you make educated decisions or opinions about gaming. Bolstered with charts, graphs, tables, and future research recommendations, Legalized Casino Gaming in the United States offers you an in-depth and comprehensive look at the gaming industry, helping you weigh the positive and negative effects of one of the most popular areas of hospitality.