Give your students a powerful learning resourcethe Internet!
The Internet, though brimming with potential, is still vastly underused as a teaching resource. Internet Applications of Type II Uses of Technology in Education gives teachers new strategies for the Internet’s use as a dynamic educational resource. Where Type I teaching applications technologically mimic the procedures previously used by teachers, Type II teaching applications involve innovative thinking in the use of technology in learning. Using Type II applications with the Internet, students are actively empowered to look to its use as an effective partner in their learning process. This book clearly reviews several Type II teaching applications and integrative software for use in all educational levels, including Internet videoconferencing, instant messages, WebQuests, and WebCT.
Though now readily available, even those schools with the capability fail to effectively integrate computer and Internet technology into meaningful classroom activities. Using the Internet as a teaching and learning tool offers a flexibility that can be extremely effective. Internet Applications of Type II Uses of Technology in Education clearly shows how some creative educators have implemented inventive Type II applications in their teaching plans to give their students a more enriching learning experience.
Internet Applications of Type II Uses of Technology in Education explores:
- critically evaluating Web site information
- how perceptions and behaviors change when Internet access becomes universally available
- Internet2 Videoconferencing
- integrating online communication into courses
- utilizing computer-mediated communication (CMC) tools
- structured online class discussions using Instant Messenger (IM)
- increasing vocabulary through software and online texts
- online learning in second-language acquisition (SLA)
- a project in New Zealand in which teachers and students learn Web design with the help of an external expert
- WebQuests as a Type II application
- WebCT as a Type II application
- achievement testing through the computer
- the Global Forum on School Leadership (GFSL) as a Type II application
Internet Applications of Type II Uses of Technology in Education is a valuable, idea-generating resource for all academics working in information technology and education, and for K-12 teachers and administrators at all levels.