Help students succeed now and in the future in any aspect of the hospitality field!Hospitality Management Education focuses on the academic aspect of hospitality--the mechanisms of hospitality education programs, their missions, their constituents, and the outcomes of their efforts. This book examines why people study hospitality management, the vast opportunities the field offers, and ways to best prepare students for a career in the industry or in academia. Within Hospitality Management Education, you'll find exhibits, figures, tables, and insight into innovative practice methods that will strengthen your skills as an educator and contributor to the growing success of this discipline.Containing research and first-hand accounts, Hospitality Management Education offers you insight into qualities and strategies that make educators or employees effective and successful in the industry. You'll find useful information to help you better prepare students and enhance your teaching skills, such as:
- understanding the history and advances of hospitality management education during the past 75 years
- stressing the difference between the hospitality industry and other industries to help prospective hospitality students understand the unique rigors of hospitality
- examining degree programs in the United Kingdom, Australia, and the United States to identify common global teaching trends, differences, and program outcomes
- enhancing student learning and education programs by linking academic hospitality programs to industry through internships, involvement with industry associations, and advisory councils
- assuring quality in academic programs through accreditation, certification, outside peer reviews, outside reviews by the industry, and administrative reviews of the faculty
- preparing for a professional academic career through strategic career planning, networking, and targeting hospitality programs
Hospitality Management Education discusses educational trends as a whole over the past decade to give you insight into future directions of hospitality such as increased specialization, growing numbers of faculty, more funding, and increased academic focus on research and scholarship. In this valuable volume, you'll find methods and suggestions that will make you a more knowledgeable and effective educator!