Use your personal faith to spread the health!
Health Through Faith and Community is a unique study guide that encourages Christian congregations to enhance the well-being of individual church members as well as society as a whole. Presented as eight study sessions that can be used independently or combined for an in-depth learning process, this notebook-size guide includes unique insights and learning activities from an ecumenical Christian perspective about the physical, mental, social, and environmental aspects of health. This well-referenced book includes more than 50 illustrations, handouts, and figures, as well as numerous resources for prayer, activity, discussion, self-reflection, Bible study, and practical applications that will help connect personal faith with congregations and communities.
The study sessions presented in Health Through Faith and Community are arranged in a series that can be easily adapted to adult Sunday school classes, workshops, retreats, and independent study. Sessions focus on individual themes and each builds on the previous one, blending together various learning approaches, including factual information, self-assessment and reflection exercises, small group discussion, and interaction exercises. The book also provides notes and guidelines for a study leader, handouts, overhead projection materials, suggested prayers, and Bible passages, materials for group discussions and exercises, Internet resources, and supplemental activities.
Each study session presented in Health Through Faith and Community includes:
- an opening prayer to reinforce the group’s intention to learn together
- a review of working definitions, concepts, and content, all presented in layperson’s terms
- material from relevant Christian sources-scriptures, personal stories, images, literature, poetry, art
- introspective activities that can be done in-group settings or privately
- group interaction-stories, spontaneous dialogue, and interactive exercises
- a holistic Christian perspective on faith and healing
- reflections by the session leader on ways to learn more about nurturing well-being in individuals, relationships, and the community
The study sessions build to a final session that helps congregations create goals to promote personal and social health in the church community, the local community, and beyond. Health Through Faith and Community is an invaluable resource for pastoral counselors, chaplains, retreat leaders, parish nurses, and faith-based social workers.