The leading papers from the leading authorities in library serials
Over the past few years electronic journals have flourished to become an integral part of a modern library system. The challenges of licensing, financing, developing, managing, and delivering seamless and integrated access are topics of crucial importance. Growth, Creativity, and Collaboration: Great Visions on a Great Lake tackles these issues through this compilation of thought-provoking papers on the future of serial publications from the 2004 North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG)’s nineteenth annual conference, which took place on the shore of Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Growth, Creativity, and Collaboration presents visionary experts who analyze the past, present, and promising future of library serials. The wide variety of stimulating topics include various aspects of electronic resources, financial issues facing the publication of serials, collaboration with vendors to assist in the development of new products and services, and the challenges and successes of librarians dealing with serial collection development and management. Tables and figures enhance the clarity of ideas, and the chapters are impeccably referenced.
Growth, Creativity, and Collaboration: Great Visions on a Great Lake discusses:
- the role of libraries in the world
- the Big Deal
- the evolution of alternative publishing
- the economics of scholarly publishing
- the specifics of making journals
- print versus electronic publishing economics
- strategies to support Tier 3 publishers
- systems and standards in electronic resource management
- licensing issues for electronic products
- pricing models
- the hidden costs of e-journals
- the Hofstra University serial review process
- changes and access problems with e-journals
- vendor collaboration to create the products you want
- faculty collaboration in serials collections development and management
- understanding and implementing context-sensitive linking services
- understanding and using your usage statistics
- creative strategies to cope with your subscription agent’s bankruptcy
- resolution of license breaches
Growth, Creativity, and Collaboration: Great Visions on a Great Lake creatively addresses the many issues involving any library’s handling of electronic resources. This eye-opening resource is perfect for librarians, publishers, and commercials vendors interested in the future of serial publication.