The latest advancements and innovations in regulating the nitrogen levels in your crops
Enhancing the Efficiency of Nitrogen Utilization in Plants examines current research to present an overview of inorganic nitrogen uptake and metabolism in plant life and crop production. This comprehensive resource is divided into sections for quick and easy reference, focusing on physiology and adaptive mechanisms, molecular genetics, and applied aspects. The world’s leading experts in agronomy, crop science, and plant physiology analyze the most effective methods and management practices to ensure maximum plant growth and production.
Enhancing the Efficiency of Nitrogen Utilization in Plants develops links between basic and applied research and practical crop production. This unique book addresses a wide range of topics that relate to nitrogen use efficiency, and to plant and crop responses to applications of nitrogen via fertilizers, including nitrogen acquisition and reduction; crop rotation; molecular approaches, genetics, and markers; balanced fertilization and controlled-release fertilizers; nitrogen decline, supply, and demand; crop breeding; radiation use; nutrient deficiency and toxicity; nitrate induction and signaling; nitrogen transport; and nitrogen use at the leaf and canopy level .
Enhancing the Efficiency of Nitrogen Utilization in Plants examines:
- plant responses to changes in the supply of the two inorganic nitrogen sources of nitrate and ammonium
- root system control mechanisms of nitrogen uptake
- nitrate uptake and reduction in higher and lower plants
- how nitrogen affects biomass production in a canopy
- nitrogen’s effects on radiation interception and radiation use efficiency
- senescence and photosynthesis
- the regulation of nitrogen and carbon metabolisms by sugars and nitrogen metabolites
- integrated nitrogen fertilization
- the use of legumes for soil improvement
- root system control mechanisms
- fertility and crop nutrient demand
- chemical and biological processes that influence nitrogen transformation or loss
- the use of simulation models to measure water and nutrient transport in soils
- and much more
Enhancing the Efficiency of Nitrogen Utilization in Plants is an invaluable classroom aid for academics working in plant physiology and agronomy, and an essential professional resource for researchers working in plant and crop production.