March 14, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 200 Pages
ISBN 9780815360636 - CAT# K346881
Series: Routledge Research in Sport Business and Management
Advances in technology have always had a significant impact on sport. This book surveys the next generation of emerging technologies and considers how sport managers, governing bodies and officials can meet the challenges that they pose for sport competition, participation and events.
It explores cutting edge developments in areas such as gene doping, vision and brain technologies, 3D printing technologies, molecular communication technologies, and our ability to ‘rebuild’ bodies. Each chapter considers the implications of a particular technology in terms of ethics, rules and regulations, facilities and resourcing, as well as the emergence of completely new forms of sport, and offers strategies for future sport management.
Emerging Technologies in Sport is a valuable resource for undergraduate students in the fields of sport management, sport tourism, and sport business and a fascinating read for anyone with an interest in sport and future applications of emerging technologies within sport.
1. Introduction to Emerging Technologies and their Implications in Sport Management
Part I: Emerging Performance-Enhancing Technologies
2. 3D Printing Technologies and Implications for Sport Management
3. Molecular Communication Technology and Implications for Sport Management
4. Bionic Vision Technology and Implications for Sport Management
5. Emerging Blood Doping Technology and Implications for Sport Management
Part II: Getting the Competition Results Correct
6. Artificial Intelligence and Implications for Sport Officiating
Part III: Safeguarding the Natural Environment for the Future of Sport
7. Sport and the Emerging Climate Change Reversal Technologist or Specialist
Part IV: Impact of Next Generation Technologies on Sport Events
8. The Convoluted History of Sex Determination in Sport: Finding a Way Forward with Current and Emerging Technologies
Ian Ritchie and Lindsay Parks Pieper
9. The Future Role of the Paralympics in Times of "Rebuilt Bodies"
Angela J. Schneider and Darda Sales
10. How Emerging Technologies are Reframing Sport
11 Conclusions – "What Could Be"