Afshin Akhtar-Khavari, Benjamin J. Richardson
February 22, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 296 Pages
ISBN 9781138605015 - CAT# K388466
Series: Law, Justice and Ecology
SAVE ~$28.00 on each
Ecological restoration is as essential as sustainable development for the health of the biosphere. Restoration however has been a low priority of most countries' environmental laws, which tend to focus narrowly on rehabilitation of small, discrete sites, rather than the more ambitious recovery of entire ecosystems and landscapes. Through critical theoretical perspectives and topical cases studies, this book's diverse contributors explore a more ambitious agenda for ecological restoration law. Not only do they investigate current laws and other governance mechanisms, they consider the philosophical and methodological bases for the law to take ecological restoration more seriously. Through exploration of themes relating to time, space, geography, semiotics, social justice, and scientific knowledge, the book offers innovative and critical insights into ecological restoration law.
1. Afshin Akhtar-Khavari and Benjamin J. Richardson, Ecological Restoration in the Anthropocene
Part 1: Concepts of Ecological Restoration Law
2. Afshin Akhtar-Khavari, The Social Life of Plants and Trees and the Limits of Environmental Law’s Recovery Imagination
3. Benjamin J. Richardson, Timescapes of Ecological Restoration
4. Emily Barritt, The Story of Stewardship and Ecological Restoration
5. Robyn Bartel and Nicole Graham, Ecological Reconciliation on Private Agricultural Land: Moving Beyond the Human-Nature Binary in Property-Environment Contests
6. An Cliquet and Kris Decleer, Linking Restoration Science and Law
7. Froukje Maria Platjouw, Green Financing of Ecosystem Restoration
Part 2: Case Studies of Ecological Restoration Law
8. Hendrik Schoukens, Legal Considerations when Operationalizing Ecological Consideration within the European Union: A Sisyphean Task: or Unlocking Existing Potential?
9. Uzuazo Etemire and Menes Abinami Muzan, Public Participation and Socio-Economic Justice in Eco-Restoration Law and Governance: The UN Environment – Ogoniland Case Study
10. Anastasia Telesetsky, Motivating Ecological Restoration by Private Landowners through Special Purpose Districts
11. Francine Rochford, Reconstructing the Environment - Perception and Changes in Australia's Murray-Darling River Basin
12. Phillipa McCormack, Reforming Restoration to Support Climate Change Adaptation.