Published July 24, 2018
Textbook - 308 Pages
ISBN 9781138899872 - CAT# Y185156
Published July 31, 2018
Textbook - 308 Pages
ISBN 9781138899865 - CAT# Y185155
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
SAVE ~$7.99 on each
SAVE ~$31.00 on each
Digital War offers a comprehensive overview of the impact of digital technologies upon the military, the media, the global public and the concept of ‘warfare’ itself.
This introductory textbook explores the range of uses of digital technology in contemporary warfare and conflict. The book begins with the 1991 Gulf War, which showcased post-Vietnam technological developments and established a new model of close military and media management. It explores how this model was reapplied in Kosovo (1999), Afghanistan (2001) and Iraq (2003), and how, with the Web 2.0 revolution, this informational control broke down. New digital technologies allowed anyone to be an informational producer leading to the emergence of a new mode of ‘participative war’, as seen in Gaza, Iraq and Syria. The book examines major political events of recent times, such as 9/11 and the War on Terror and its aftermath. It also considers how technological developments such as unmanned drones and cyberwar have impacted upon global conflict and explores emerging technologies such as soldier-systems, exo-skeletons, robotics and artificial intelligence and their possible future impact.
This book will be of much interest to students of war and media, security studies, political communication, new media, diplomacy and IR in general.
Introduction: A New Field
1. Top-Down War: Broadcasting Conflict in the 1990s
2. Non-War and Virtual War: Theorizing Conflict in the 1990s
3. Informational and Networked War: Remaking Conflict in the 1990s
4. The War on Terror: Reporting 9/11 and Afghanistan
5. Shock and Awe: Reporting the Iraq War
6. From Abu Ghraib to Facebook: The End of Military Informational Control
7. Transparent War: The Wikileaks ‘War Logs’
8. Drone War: Telepresent Assassination
9. Ambient War: Cyberwar Everywhere
10. #ParticipativeWar: Social Media in Gaza and Syria
11. Viral War: Islamic State’s Digital Terror
12. Augmented War: Wearables, Phones, Soldier-Systems, AR, Simulations, Sensors, Exo-Skeletons and BCI
13. Algorithmic War: The A.I. and Robotic RMA
Conclusion: The Clouds of War
We provide complimentary e-inspection copies of primary textbooks to instructors considering our books for course adoption.