A multidisciplinary approach to the challenges of developing a complete package for convention and event tourism To be successful in today’s competitive convention and event tourism market, communities need to provide a complete package that includes quality lodging, convenient and affordable transportation, restaurants, entertainment, and tourist appeal. Developing a Successful Infrastructure for Convention and Event Tourism presents a multidisciplinary approach to the challenges of developing larger infrastructural needs. This unique book closely examines what it takes for a destination to be successful, providing a balanced approach to developing convention and event tourism. Respected experts from a variety of disciplines such as economics, tourism, communications, law, and public policy discuss practical strategies and what infrastructure should be in place to better ensure success for a convention destination. Developing a Successful Infrastructure for Convention and Event Tourism provides insights into various complex aspects of developing the infrastructure for convention and event tourism, including economic development, land use issues, politics, social equity, marketing issues, security issues, governance, and citizen participation. Tourism professionals can get a broad and comprehensive look at how to best apply this expert knowledge to their own situations. This text is extensively referenced and provides tables to clearly present data. Topics in Developing a Successful Infrastructure for Convention and Event Tourism include:
- public financing for headquarter convention hotels
- private sector investments in hotels
- assumptions and issues that are critical to reliable estimates of the economic impacts of event tourism
- the evaluation of economic impact studies
- a case study of what Korea did to foster rapid growth to become a major player in the international convention market
- emerging issues facing convention and event tourism
- the use of convention centers as staging grounds for disaster recovery
- and more!
Developing a Successful Infrastructure for Convention and Event Tourism is a horizon-expanding text invaluable to tourism educators, tourism students, researchers, local and state government officials, policymakers, and anyone involved with local economic development.