Daniel Allington, Barbara Mayor
Published March 15, 2012
Textbook - 412 Pages
ISBN 9780415674232 - CAT# Y119429
Published March 27, 2012
Textbook - 416 Pages
ISBN 9780415674225 - CAT# Y119428
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
Communicating in English: Talk, Text, Technology looks at how people use spoken and written English to communicate in their everyday lives.
Exploring the complex relationship between communication, technology and the English language, this book offers the reader practical insights into the analysis of speech and writing. A wide range of examples is provided, ranging from text messages and domestic quarrels to the works of Shakespeare and the words of Martin Luther King.
This book takes a fresh look at established topics such as rhetoric, language acquisition, and professional communication, as well as covering exciting new fields such as everyday creativity, digital media, and the history of the book. Key theoretical concepts are introduced in an accessible manner, and the reader is given an in-depth understanding of English-language communication in its social and historical contexts.
Drawing on the latest research and on the Open University’s experience of producing accessible and innovative texts, this book:
• explains basic concepts and assumes no previous study of English studies, communication studies or linguistics
• features a range of source material and commissioned readings to supplement chapters
• includes contributions from leading experts in their fields, including Naomi Baron, Deborah Cameron, Guy Cook, Janet Holmes and Almut Koester
• has a truly international scope, encompassing examples and case studies from Europe, North America, Africa, Asia, and Australasia
• is illustrated in full colour and includes a comprehensive index.
Communicating in English: Talk, Text, Technology is essential reading for all students of English language studies or communication studies.
Introduction. 1. Talking in English. Barbara Mayor and Daniel Allington. 2. Reading and Writing in English. Daniel Allington and Ann Hewings. 3. Growing Up with English. Barbara Mayor. 4. Working in English. Almut Koester. 5. Everyday Creativity in English. Joan Swann. 6. Persuasion in English. Guy Cook. 7. Material English. Daniel Allington. 8. Digital English. Caroline Tagg.
We provide complimentary e-inspection copies of primary textbooks to instructors considering our books for course adoption.