Expand your knowledge of problems and possibilities with e-material acquisitions around the world to aid in making your own decisions
The demand for electronic material in academic libraries is growing and shows no sign of abating. Collection Development Issues in the Online Environment addresses key issues in electronic materials development and presents cutting-edge practices from academic libraries around the world. Leading authorities reveal insights on both common and special concerns that every library administrator can use in making decisions about their own collections. The text also presents real-life case studies illustrating approaches that can be modified for effective planning of your own library acquisitions. The strategies are practical, the information clear and helpful, all of it contained in a single useful volume that every information science professional or academic can use.
Collection Development Issues in the Online Environment is separated into three sections. The first section tackles issues common to most academic libraries such as electronic journal delivery and budgeting. The second section addresses special library digital issues such as the preservation and dissemination of unique types of information such as annual reports. The final section delves into the future of library electronic acquisitions and the coming challenges. This text is carefully referenced and includes tables and figures to enhance understanding of the subjects.
Collection Development Issues in the Online Environment topics include:
- virtual learning environments (VLE)
- problems of pricing and access with individually ordered or packaged electronic journals
- budgeting issues in electronic resources
- management of electronic-only versions of journals
- electronic vs. paper serialsincluding selection criteria of each
- copyright lawand its impact on electronic acquisitions
- subscriptions to databases and the variations in depth and quality of indexing
- the challenges in creation of an electronic collection of historical annual reports
- costs and delivery options for unbundled and integrated media materials
- systematic incentives to implement archiving of peer-reviewed papers produced by faculty
- PDA serials issues
Collection Development Issues in the Online Environment is helpful, horizon-expanding information for librarians, library administrators, archivists, publishers, and library and information science educators and students.