Ursula Kilkelly, Laura Lundy
Published March 21, 1996
Reference - 256 Pages
ISBN 9781855216839 - CAT# Y232662
Series: Issues in Law and Society
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
SAVE ~$19.39 on each
Part I: Origins
1. Eichsteller, G. (2009). Janusz Korczak–His Legacy and its Relevance for Children's Rights Today. The International Journal of Children's Rights, 17(3), pp. 377-391.
2. Moody, Z. (2014). Transnational treaties on children’s rights: Norm building and circulation in the twentieth century. Paedagogica Historica, 50(1-2), pp. 151-164.
3. Cantwell, N. (2011) ‘Are Children’s Rights Still Human?’ in Invernizzi, A. and Williams, J. (eds), The Human Rights of Children From Visions to implementation. Ashgate, 2011, pp. 37-60.
4. Cohen, C. P. (2006). Role of the United States in the Drafting of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, The. Emory Int'l L. Rev., 20, pp. 185-198.
Part II: Influential scholarship
5. Freeman, M. (2011), ‘The value and values of children’s rights’, chapter 1 in Invernizzi, A. and Williams, J. (eds), The Human Rights of Children From Visions to implementation. Ashgate, 2011, pp. 21- 34.
6. Woodhouse, B. B. (1993). Out of children's needs, children's rights: The child's voice in defining the family. BYU J. Pub. L., 8, pp. 321-341.
7. Eekelaar, J. ‘The Interests of the child and the child's wishes: the role of dynamic self-determinism’ 8(1) International Journal of Law Policy and the Family (1994) pp. 42-61.
Part III: Implementation
8. Harris-Short, S. ‘International Human Rights Law: Imperialist, Inept and Ineffective? Cultural Relativism and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child’ 25(1) Human Rights Quarterly (2003) pp. 130-181.
9. Schabas, W., ‘Reservations to the Convention on the Rights of the Child’ 18 Human Rights Quarterly (1996) pp. 472-491.
10. Lundy, L. Kilkelly U. and Byrne, B. ‘Incorporation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in Law: A Comparative Review’ 21(3) International Journal of Children’s Rights (2013) pp. 442-463.
11. Howe, R. B., & Covell, K. (2010). ‘Miseducating children about their rights’. Education, Citizenship and Social Justice, 5(2), pp. 91-102.
Part IV: International Reach
12. Stalford, H. ‘The CRC in Litigation under EU Law’ in Liefaard, T. and Doek, J. (Eds) Litigating the Rights of the Child The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in Domestic and International Jurisprudence. Springer, 2015, pp. 211-231.
13. Sloth-Nielsen, J. (1996) ‘Chicken soup or chainsaws: some implications of the constitutionalisation of children's rights in South Africa’ Acta Juridica, pp. 6-27.
14. Sanghera, Gurchathen S, The ‘Politics’ of Children's Rights and Child Labour in India: A Social Constructionist Perspective, 12(2) The International Journal of Human Rights (2008) pp. 215-232.
15. Buss, E. ‘Constitutional Fidelity through Children’s Rights’ Supreme Court Review (2004) pp. 355-407.
Part V: Interdisciplinary Scholarship
16. Olsen, F. (1992). Children's rights: Some feminist approaches to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family, 6(1), pp. 192-220.
17. Daiute, C. (2008). The rights of children, the rights of nations: Developmental theory and the politics of children's rights. Journal of Social Issues, 64(4), pp. 701-723.
18. Todres, J., & Higinbotham, S. (2013). A Person's a Person: Children's Rights in Children's Literature. Columbia Human Rights Law Review, 45(1), pp. 1-56.
Part VI: Involving children
19. Alderson, P., Hawthorne, J., & Killen, M. (2005). ‘Participation Rights of Premature Babies’, The. International Journal of Children's Rights 13, pp. 31-50.
20. Cashmore, J. and Parkinson, P. (2007) ’What responsibility to courts have to hear children’s voices? 15 The International Journal of Children's Rights, pp. 43-60.
21. Lundy, L., & McEvoy, L. (2012). Children’s rights and research processes: Assisting children to (in) formed views. Childhood, 19(1), pp. 129-144.
Part VII: Issues that are contested
22. Alston, P., ‘The Unborn Child and Abortion Under the Draft Convention on the Rights of the Child’ Human Rights Quarterly 12 (1990) 156-178
23. Goldson, B. (2005) ‘Child Imprisonment: A case for Abolition?’ 5(2) Youth Justice pp.77-90.
24. Tobin, J., & McNair, R. (2009). ‘Public international law and the regulation of private spaces: Does the convention on the rights of the child impose an obligation on states to allow gay and lesbian couples to adopt?’ International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family, 23(1), pp. 110-131.
25. Saunders, B. J., & Goddard, C. (2008). ‘Some Australian children's perceptions of physical punishment in childhood.’ Children & Society, 22(6), pp. 405-417.