Informa Law from Routledge
May 10, 2019 Forthcoming
Reference - 208 Pages
ISBN 9781138488878 - CAT# K349760
Series: Contemporary Commercial Law
For Instructors Request Inspection Copy
Blockchain Technology and the Law: Opportunities and Risks is one of the first texts to offer a critical analysis of Blockchain and the legal and economic challenges faced by the new technology. This book will offer those who are unfamiliar with Blockchain an introduction as to how the technology works and will demonstrate how a legal framework that governs it can be used to ensure that it can be successfully deployed.
Discussions included in this book:
- an introduction to smart contracts, and their potential, from a commercial and consumer law perspective, to change the nature of transactions between parties;
- the impact that Blockchain has already had on financial services, and the possible consumer risks and macro-economic issues that may arise in the future;
- the challenges that are facing global securities regulators with the development of Initial Coin Offerings and the ongoing risks that they pose to the investing public;
- the risk of significant privacy breaches due to the online public nature of the Blockchain; and
- the future of Blockchain technology.
Of interest to academics, policy-makers, technology developers and legal practitioners, this book will provide a thorough examination of Blockchain technology in relation to the law from a comparative perspective with a focus on the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.
1.Introduction 2.Overview of Blockchain and the Trust Problem 3.Introduction to Blockchain-Based Transactions and Smart Contracts 4.Blockchain and Consumer Payment Mechanisms 5.Blockchain Governance and Error Correction Issues 6.Blockchains, Initial Coin Offerings and the Challenges Facing Securities Regulators in North America 7.The Privacy Law Implications of Blockchain Technology 8.What does the Future Hold for Blockchain?