Table of Contents
Volume I: Aviation Regulation
Part One: Airline Economic Regulation
1.1. North America
- Steven Morrison and Clifford Winston, ‘Industry Evolution’, in The Evolution of the Airline Industry (Washington, DC.: Brookings Institution, 1995) pp. 128-158.
- Andrew R. Goetz and Timothy M Vowles, ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: 30 Years of US airline Deregulation’, Journal of Transport Geography, 2009, 17, 4, 251-263.
- Rigas Doganis, ‘The Impact of Liberalization on European Airline Strategies and Operations’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 1994, 1, 1, 15-25.
- Hansjochen Ehmer, ‘Liberalization in German Air Transport - Analysis and Competition Policy Recommendations: Summary of a German Study’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2001, 7, 51-55.
- Fariba E. Alamdari and Peter Morrell, ‘Airline Labour Cost Reduction: Post-Liberalisation Experience in the USA and Europe’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 1997, 3, 2, 53-66.
- Kenneth Button, ‘The Impact of US–EU ‘‘Open Skies’’ Agreement on Airline Market Structures and Airline Networks’ Journal of Air Transport Management, 2009, 15, 59-71.
- Yu‐Chun Chang, George Williams and Chia-Jui Hsu, ‘An Ongoing Process—A Review of the Open Skies Agreements between the European Union and the United States’, Transport Reviews, 2009, 29, 1, 115–127.
- Joan Calzada, Xavier Fageda, ‘Competition and Public Service Obligations in European Aviation Markets’, Transportation Research Part A, 2014, 70, 104–116.
- Paul Hooper, ‘Liberalising Competition in Domestic Airline Markets in Asia – the Problematic Interface between Domestic and International Regulatory Policies’, Transportation Research Part E, 1997, 33, 3, 197–209.
- Guo-Chou Shiao and Cherng-Chwan Hwang, ‘Analyzing Competition of International Air Cargo Carriers in the Asian General Air Cargo Markets’, Transport Policy, 2013, 27, 164-170.
- Peter Forsyth, John King and Cherry Lyn Rodolfo, ‘Open Skies in ASEAN’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2006, 12, 143–152.
1.4 Airline Alliance Issues
- Tae Hoon Oum, Chunyan Yu and Anming Zhang, ‘Global Airline Alliances: International Regulatory Issues’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2001, 7, 57-62.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach and Kai Hüschelrath, ‘Airline Alliances and Antitrust Policy: The Role of Efficiencies’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2012, 21, 76-84.
- Jan K. Brueckner, ‘The Benefits of Codesharing and Antitrust Immunity for International Passengers, with an Application to the Star Alliance’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2003, 9, 83–89.
- John Balfour, ‘EC Competition Law and Airline Alliances’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2004, 10, 81–85.
1.5 Other Competition Related Issues
- David Gillen and William G. Morrison, ‘Regulation, Competition and Network Evolution in Aviation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2005, 11, 161–174.
- Jolian McHardy and Stephen Trotter, ‘Competition and Deregulation: Do Air Passengers Get the Benefits?’, Transportation Research Part A, 2006, 40, 74–93.
Part Two: Airport Governance and Economic Regulation
2.1 Airport Privatisation
- Michael Carney and Keith Mew, 'Airport Governance Reform: A Strategic Management Perspective', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2003, 9, 221-232.
- David Gillen, 'The Evolution of Airport Ownership and Governance', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2011, 17, 1, 3-13.
- Ken Button, 'Air Transportation Infrastructure in Developing Countries: Privatisation and Deregulation', in C. Winston and G. de Rus (eds), Aviation Infrastructure Performance (Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press, 2008), pp. 193-221.
- David Parker, 'The Performance of BAA before and after Privatisation: A DEA Study', Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 1999, 33, 2, 133-146.
- Tae Oum, Jia Yan and Chunyan Yu, 'Ownership Forms matter for Airport Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Investigation of Worldwide Airports', Journal of Urban Economics, 2008, 64, 2, 422-435.
2.2 Airport Economic Regulation
- Michael E. Beesley, 'Airport Regulation', in M. E.Beesely (ed.), Regulating Utilities: A New Era? (London: The Institute of Economic Affairs, London, 1999), pp. 81-105.
- David Starkie, 'Reforming UK Airport Regulation', Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 2001, 35, 1, 119-135.
- Peter Forsyth, 'Price Regulation of Airports: Principles with Australian Applications,' Transportation Research Part E-Logistics and Transportation Review, 1997, 33, 4, 297-309.
- Stephen C. Littlechild, 'Australian Airport Regulation: Exploring the Frontier', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2012, 21, 50-62.
- David Starkie, 'European Airports and Airlines: Evolving Relationships and the Regulatory Implications', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2012, 21, 40-49.
- David Starkie, 'Investment Incentives and Airport Regulation', Utilities Policy, 2006, 14, 262-265.
- Annika Reinhold, Hans-Martin Niemeier, Vanessa Kamp and Juergen Mueller, 'An Evaluation of Yardstick Regulation for European Airports', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2010, 16, 2, 74-80.
- George Assaf and David Gillen, 'Measuring the Joint Impact of Governance Form and Economic Regulation on Airport Efficiency', European Journal of Operational Research, 2012, 220, 1, 187-198.
2.3 Airport Competition
- Sean Barret, 'Airport Competition in the Deregulated European Aviation Market', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2000, 6, 1, pp. 13-27.
- Harry Bush and David Starkie, 'Competitive Drivers towards Improved Airport/Airline Relationships', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2014, 41, 45-49.
- Martin Dresner, Robert Windle and Yuliang Yao 'Airport Barriers to Entry in the US', Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 2002, 36, 2, 389-405.
- Eric Pels, Peter Nijkamp and Piet Rietveld, 'Access to and Competition between Airports: A Case Study for the San Francisco Bay Area', Transportation Research Part A, 2003, 37, 1, 71-83.
Volume II: Airline Economics
Part One: Demand, Traffic and Pricing
- Fariba E. Alamdari and Ian G. Black, ‘Passengers' Choice of Airline Under Competition: the Use of the Logit Model’, Transport Reviews, 1992, 12, 2, 153–170.
- Aisling J. Reynold-Feighan, ‘The E.U. and U.S. Air Freight Markets: Network Organization in a Deregulated Environment’, Transport Reviews: A Transnational Transdisciplinary Journal, 1994, 14, 3, 193–217.
- Keith Mason, ‘The Propensity of Business Travellers to Use Low Cost Airlines’, Journal of Transport Geography, 2000, 8, 107-119.
- Tae Hoon Oum, Xiaowen Fu and Chunyan Yu, ‘New Evidences on Airline Efficiency and Yields: A Comparative Analysis of Major North American Air Carriers and its Implications’, Transport Policy, 2005, 12, 153–164.
- Andreas Wittmer and Christian Laesser, ‘The Perception of Time in Air Transport – What Delay is Accepted by Air Tavellers?’ Journal of Air Transport Studies, 2010, 1, 48-61.
Part Two: Supply: Networks and Service Quality
- Marco Alderighi, Alessandro Cento, Peter Nijkamp and Piet Rietveld, ‘Assessment of New Hub-and-Spoke and Point-to-Point Airline Network Configurations’, Transport Reviews: A Transnational Transdisciplinary Journal, 27, 5, 2007, pp.529-549.
- Martin Dresner and Robert Windle, ‘Are US Carriers to be Feared? Implication of hubbing to North Atlantic Competition’, Transport Policy, 1995, 2, 3, 195-202.
- Mark Hansen and Adib Kanafani, ‘International Airline Hubbing in a Competitive Environment’, Transportation Planning and Technology, 1988, 13, 1, 3-18.
- Nigel Dennis, ‘Airline Hub Operations in Europe’, Journal of Transport Geography, 1994, 2, 219-233.
- Mark G. Lijesen, Piet Rietveld, Peter Nijkamp, ‘Hub Premiums in European Civil Aviation’, Transport Policy, 2001, 8, 193-199.
- Guillaume Burghouwt and Jaap de Wit, ‘Temporal Configurations of European Airline Networks’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2005, 11, 3, 185–198.
- Marco Alderighi, Alessandro Cento, Peter Nijkamp and Piet Rietveld, ‘Competition in the European Aviation Market: the Entry of Low-Cost Airlines’, Journal of Transport Geography, 2012, 24, 223–233.
Part Three: Costs and Productivity
3.1 Airline Costs
- Kenneth Button, Álvaro Costa, Fabiene Costa and Carlos Cruz, ‘Problems of Cost Recovery by European Airlines since Market Liberalization’, Transportation Planning and Technology, 2011, 34, 2, 125-138.
- Peter Morrell, ‘Airlines within Airlines: An Analysis of US Network Airline Responses to Low Cost Carriers’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2005, 11, 303–312.
- Joost Zuidberg, ‘Identifying Airline Cost Economies: An Econometric Analysis of the Factors Affecting Aircraft Operating Costs’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2014, 40, 86-95.
- Graham Francis, Nigel Dennis, Stephen Ison, and Ian Humphreys, ‘The Transferability of the Low-Cost Model to Long-Haul Airline Operations’, Tourism Management, 2007, 28, 391–398.
3.2 Airline Productivity and Efficiency
- David H. Good, Lars-Hendrik Roller and Robin C. Sickles, ‘Airline Efficiency Differences between Europe and the US: Implications for the Pace of EC Integration and Domestic Regulation’, European Journal of Operational Research, 1995, 80, 508-518.
- Peter Forsyth, ‘Total Factor Productivity in Australian Domestic Aviation’, Transport Policy, 2018, 201–207.
- Tae Hoon Oum and Chunyan Yu, ‘A Productivity Comparison of the World’s Major Airlines’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 1995, 2, 3/4, 181-195.
- Cristina Barbot, Alvaro Costa and Elena Sochirca, ‘Airlines Performance in the New Market Context: A Comparative Productivity and Efficiency Analysis’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2008, 14, 270– 274.
- Kun Wang, Xingli Fan, Xiaowen Fu and Yiran Zhou, ‘Benchmarking the Performance of Chinese Airlines: An Investigation of Productivity, Yield and Cost Competitiveness’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2014, 38, 3–14.
Part Four: Airline Finance
- Christian Hofer, Martin E. Dresner, and Robert J. Windl, ‘The Impact of Airline Financial Distress on US Air Fares: A Contingency Approach’, Transportation Research Part E, 2009, 45, 238–249.
- Stephen X. H. Gong, ‘Bankruptcy Protection and Stock Market Behaviour in the US Airline Industry’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2007, 13, 213–220.
- Peter Forsyth and Larry Dwyer, ‘Exchange Rate Changes and the Cost Competitiveness of International Airlines: The Aviation Trade Weighted Index’, Research in Transportation Economics, 2010, 26, 12–17.
- Peter Morrell and William Swan, ‘Airline Jet Fuel Hedging: Theory and Practice’, Transport Reviews, 2006, 26, 6, 713–730.
- Siew Hoon Lim and Yongtao Hong, ‘Fuel Hedging and Airline Operating Costs’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2014, 36, 33-40.
- Sheelah Turner and Peter Morrell, An Evaluation of Airline Beta Calues and their Application in Calculating the Cost of Equity Capital’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2003, 9, 201–209.
- William Gibson and Peter Morrell, ‘Theory and Practice in Aircraft Financial Evaluation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2004, 10, 427-433.
Volume III: Airport Economics
Part One: Airport Economic Performance and Efficiency
- David Gillen and Ashish Lall, ‘Developing Measures of Airport Productivity and Performance: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis’, Transportation Research E, 1997, 33, 4, 261-274.
- Paul Hooper and David Hensher, ‘Measuring Total Factor Productivity of Airports – An Index Number Approach’, Transportation Research E, 1998, 33, 4, 249-259.
- Juan Carlos Martín and Augusto Voltes-Dorta, ‘The Econometric Estimation of Airports’ Cost Function’, Transportation Research B, 2011, 45, 112-127.
- Vanessa Liebert and Hans-Martin Niemeier, 'A Survey of Empirical Research on the Productivity and Efficiency Measurement of Airports’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 2013, 47, 2, 157–189.
- Eric Pels, Peter Nijkamp and Piet Rietveld, ‘Inefficiencies and Scale Economies of European Airport Operations’, Transportation Research Part E, 2003, 39, 5, 341–361.
- F. Salazar de la Cruz, 'A DEA Approach to the Airport Production Function', International Journal of Transport Economics, 1999, 26, 2, 255-270.
- Sergio Perelman and Tomas Serebrisky, 'Measuring the Technical Efficiency of Airports in Latin America', Utilities Policy, 2012, 22, 1-7.
Part Two: Airport Revenue Sources, Pricing and Congestion
- Kurt Van Dender, 'Determinants of Fares and Operating Revenues at US Airports', Journal of Urban Economics, 2007, 62, 317-336.
- Michael Levine, 'Landing Fees and the Airport Congestion Problem', Journal of Law and Economics, 1968, 12, 1, 79-108.
- Alan Carlin and R. E. Park, 'Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity', American Economic Review, 1970, 60, 310–318.
- Mike Toms, ‘Charging for Airports: The New BAA Approach', Journal of Air Transport Management, 1994, 1, 2, 77-82.
- Jan Brueckner, 'Internalization of Airport Congestion', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2002, 8, 141-147.
- Steven Morrison and Clifford Winston, 'Another Look at Airport Congestion Pricing', American Economic Review, 2007, 97, 5, 1970–1977.
- Leonardo Basso and Anming Zhang, ‘A Survey of Analytical Models of Airport Pricing’, in Darin Lee (ed.), Advances in Airline Economics, Vol. II (Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2007), pp. 89-124.
- Tiziana D'Alfonso, Changmin Jiang and Yulai Wan, 'Airport Pricing, Concession Revenues and Passenger Types', Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 2013, 47, 71-89.
Part Three: Slot Allocation
- Jan Bruekner, 'Price vs. Quantity-based Approaches to Airport Congestion', Journal of Public Economics, 2009, 93, 681-690.
- Ken Button, 'Auctions – What Can We Learn from Auction Theory for Slot Allocation?', in A. Czerny, P. Forsyth, D. Gillen and H.-M. Niemeier, Airport Slots: International Experiences and Options for Reform (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2008), pp. 291-309.
- David Starkie, 'The Economics of Secondary Markets for Airport Slots', in K. Boyfield (ed.), A Market in Airport Slots (London: Institute of Economic Affairs, 2003), pp. 51-79.
- Hideki Futiki 'Effect of Slot Trading on Route-level Competition: Evidence from Experience in the UK', Transportation Research Part A, 2014, 69, 124-141.
Volume IV: Air Transport Externalities
Part One: Economic Contribution
82. N. N. Ndoh and Robert Caves, 'Investigating the Impact of Air-Service Supply on Local Demand: A Causal Analysis', Environment and Planning A, 1995, 27, 3, 489–503.
83. Jan Brueckner, 'Airline Traffic and Urban Economic Development', Urban Studies, 2003, 40, 8, 1455-1469.
84. Ken Button and Samantha Taylor, 'International Air Transportation and Economic Development', Journal of Air Transport Management, 2000, 6, 209-222.
85. Jacco Hakfoort, Tom Poot, and Piet Rietveld, 'The Regional Economic Impact of an Airport: The Case of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport', Regional Studies, 2001, 35, 7, 595-604.
86. Marco Percoco, 'Airport Activity and Local Development: Evidence from Italy', Urban Studies, 2010, 47, 11, 427-443.
87. Kirsi Mukkala and Hannu Tervo, 'Air Transportation and Regional Growth: Which Way does the Causality Run?', Environment and Planning A, 2013, 45, 1508-1520.
88. Kenneth Button and Junyang Yuan, 'Airfreight Transport and Economic Development: An Examination of Causality', Urban Studies, 2013, 50, 2, 329–340.
89. Allan Williams and Vladimir Baláž, ‘Low-Cost Carriers, Economies of Flows and Regional Externalities’, Regional Studies, 2009, 43, 5, 677-691.
90. Mariasole Bannò and Renato Redondi, 'Air Connectivity and Foreign Direct Investments: Economic Effects of the Introduction of New Routes’, European Transportation Research Review, 2014, 6, 355-363.
Part Two: Environmental Impact
2.1 Aircraft Noise Impact
91. Jon P. Nelson, ‘Airports and Property Values: A Survey of Recent Evidence’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 1980, 14, 37-52.
92. Eran Feitelson, Robert Hurd, and Richard Mudge, ‘The Impact of Airport Noise on Willingness to Pay for Residences’, Transportation Research Part D, 1996, 1, 1, 14–25.
93. Youdi Schipper, Peter Nijkamp and Piet Rietveld, ‘Why do Aircraft Noise Value Estimates Differ: A Meta-Analysis?, Journal of Air Transport Management, 1998, 4, 117–124.
94. John-Paul Clarke, ‘The Role of Advanced Air Traffic Management in Reducing the Impact of Aircraft Noise and Enabling Aviation Growth’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2003, 9, 161–165.
2.2 Aircraft Emissions Impact
95. C. Miyoshi and K.J. Mason, ‘The Carbon Emissions of Selected Airlines and Aircraft Types in Three Geographic Markets’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2009, 15, 138–147.
96. Ching-Cheng Chao, ‘Assessment of Carbon Emission Costs for Air Cargo Transportation’, Transportation Research Part D, 2014, 33, 186–195.
2.3 Aircraft Emissions Trading and Charges
97. Peter Morrell, ‘The Economics of CO2 Emissions Trading for Aviation’, OECD Discussion Paper, 2009, 2009-29, 3-20.
98. Janina Scheelhaase, Wolfgang Grimme and Martin Schaefer, ‘The Inclusion of Aviation into the EU Emission Trading Scheme – Impacts on Competition between European and non-European Network Airlines’, Transportation Research Part D, 2010, 15, 14–25.
99. Jan K. Brueckner and Anming Zhang, ‘Airline Emission Charges: Effects on Airfares, Service Quality, and Aircraft Design’, Transportation Research Part B, 2010, 44, 960–971.
2.4 General Aviation Environmental Impact
100. Youdi Schipper, ‘Environmental Costs in European Aviation’, Transport Policy, 2004, 11, 141–154.
101. Peter Morrell and Cherie H-Y Lu, ‘Social Costs of Aircraft Noise and Engine Emissions: A Case Study of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol’, TRB Conference Record, 2000, 1703.
102. Peter Phleps and Mirko Hornung, ‘Noise and Emission Targeted Economic Trade-Off for Next Generation Single-Aisle Aircraft’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2013, 26, 14–19.