Learn how animal cruelty is linked to family violenceExperts find a disturbingly close relationship between animal abuse and family violence. Animal Abuse and Family Violence: Linkages, Research, and Implications for Professional Practice explores the difficult link between family violence and animal abuse in depth, explaining why the abuse occurs and offering practical treatment options. This concise yet comprehensive overview describes creative programs to foster prevention of cruelty to animals as well as nonviolence toward humans. New research and approaches for policy and practice are presented in detail, all in one easy-to-read volume. Animal Abuse and Family Violence: Linkages, Research, and Implications for Professional Practice works to fill the noticeable gap in the present literature about the connection between violence to family members and pets. This text provides practical suggestions for including animal cruelty as an important component for assessment and treatment in the education and training of mental health professionals. The book is extensively referenced. Topics discussed in Animal Abuse and Family Violence: Linkages, Research, and Implications for Professional Practice include:
- an overview of empirical literature linking family violence to cruelty of family pets
- short- and long-term effects of experiencing animal abuse and the impact on victims
- the prevalence within the Hispanic community of pet abuse and intimate partner violence
- animal cruelty disclosure in child welfare cases
- the collection of data and communication among agencies about animal cruelty at the state and federal level
- the positive impact of programs utilizing pet assisted therapy
Animal Abuse and Family Violence: Linkages, Research, and Implications for Professional Practice is a valuable resource for clinical psychologists, counselors, social workers, educators, students, veterinarians, animal rights activists, mainstream media, and anyone interested in the prevention of animal abuse.