The definitive one-volume guide to all sub-Saharan African countries, providing invaluable economic, political, statistical and directory data.
New for 2015:
- fully revised government lists for all countries
- details on major news stories over the past 12 months
- election results from Guinea-Bissau, Malawi, South Africa and Mauritania
- new essays on Ghana, Nigeria, Mauritania, Mozambique and Uganda
Thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles written by experts on the region and covering both continent-wide and sub-regional issues.
Individual chapters on every country incorporating:
- essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economies
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators
- a full directory containing names, addresses and contact details for key areas such as the government, diplomatic representation, the media, finance, trade and industry, and defence
- a useful bibliography, providing sources for further research.
Detailed information on regional organizations; commodities; research institutes; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara Donald L. Sparks State Failure in Africa: Causes, Consequences and Responses Paul D. Williams China's Growing Involvement in Africa Ian Taylor Brazil's Engagement with Africa Gerhard Seibert Back to Basics: Decolonizing Democracy in Africa Olivia U. Rutazibwa The East African Community Duncan Woodside A Century of Development: Policy and Process in Sub-Saharan Africa Michael Jennings European Colonial Rule in Africa Richard Brown Dates of Independence of African Countries. Outline Political Map of Contemporary Africa Part 2: Country Surveys Sections on geography, history, chronology and economy, as well as statistical surveys, directories and bibliographies for each country. Part 3: Regional Information Regional Organizations. Major Commodities of Africa. Calendars. Research Institutes Concerned With Africa. Select Bibliography (Books). Select Bibliography (Periodicals). Index of Regional Organizations.
‘This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date guide to African countries and organizations.’ – International Affairs
‘The best thing of its kind on the market.’ – West Africa
‘A well-balanced, well-judged and remarkably comprehensive volume.’ – Times Literary Supplement
‘A Welcome addition to any library shelf.’ – Africa Events