Is aluminium bad for you? What is an Environment Management System? Is there an effective substitute for Chlorine Bleach? The A - Z of Corporate Environmental Management provides answers to these and many other questions, and is an invaluable guide to managing a company's environmental impact.
This practical directory assesses hundreds of products in common use, from aerosols to zinc, via formaldehyde and phosphates. Using an easy-to-understand format it: explains each product's use, its benefits and its environmental risks; recommends safer alternative choices where available; explains issues such as animal testing, eco-labels and recycling; and examines the main impacts of major industries, from aerospace to zoos. Its compact, jargon-free definitions will enable you to produce safer products and communicate your needs more effectively to suppliers.
Making extensive use of figures and cross-referencing, this book is ideal for managers who are introducing corporate environmental programmes and risk assessments, and for anyone who needs an objective view of environmental issues in business.
With over 800 entries, the A-Z of Corporate Environmental Management provides a clear and authoritative summary of the subject. Its encyclopedic coverage includes:
* Management strategies such as ISO 14001
* UK, EU and international legislation
* General issues, eg timber
* Toxic substances, eg organochlorines
* Waste management, eg landfill
* Disasters, eg contamination at the Union Carbide plant, Bhopal
* Water pollutants, eg chlorine
* Air pollutants, eg carbon monoxide
The A-Z will help you to:
* Reduce your organisation's impacts
* Understand major issues
* Decide which chemicals to use
* Assess whether you are complying with legislation
* Communicate with staff and customers
* Implement an environmental management system
With hundreds of best practice points, the A-Z shows how to reduce pollution, cut costs, improve staff motivation, increase sales and avoid litigation. Its checklists, charts and tables make it a highly practical tool for anyone needing to understand and implement environmental management.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations and Case Studies * Acronyms and Abbreviations * How to use This Book* List of Entries * Reference Section * Acknowledgements and Sources of Information * Further Reading